PDA

View Full Version : Is my action true?

Pages : 1 [2]

gbflyer
04-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks. That's what it's all about, helping each other. I joined this forum to learn as well as help anyway I can. I always find that photos and videos explain everything such much better than I can, plus there fun to watch, at least I think they are lol!

Agree 100%. I was reading a thread on another forum recently where a fellow wanted to get some experience chambering a barrel. My goodness, some of the responses were amazing from the "pros". It was like they were being asked to cut off a limb. I wondered how it would be if no one ever gave them a chance. The shooting community spends a lot of time in neck deep water as it is. Makes no sense to throw one of our own an anvil.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the vids. Nice work!

70oldsracer
04-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Agree 100%. I was reading a thread on another forum recently where a fellow wanted to get some experience chambering a barrel. My goodness, some of the responses were amazing from the "pros". It was like they were being asked to cut off a limb. I wondered how it would be if no one ever gave them a chance. The shooting community spends a lot of time in neck deep water as it is. Makes no sense to throw one of our own an anvil.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the vids. Nice work!

Thanks.

chetc
04-01-2017, 07:52 PM
you can do one more step, i am curious, take a depth mike and see what the difference is in the depth of each lug abutments,

Chet

70oldsracer
04-02-2017, 08:08 AM
you can do one more step, i am curious, take a depth mike and see what the difference is in the depth of each lug abutments,

Chet

Chet,

That was the next thing I wanted to do, but I'm not to sure how to change the rod on my depth mic. Right now the rod in there only reads from 0-1". I do have a digital depth gauge that I can try. I figure it shouldn't be anymore than .001 difference. Have you done this before? In hindsight, I really should have taken these measurements before to see how off it was from the factory. I made the same type of mandrel for my Mauser receiver and after the truing cuts on the face of the receiver, it was within .001" after measuring in 4 different places on the C ring.

Frank

Robinhood
04-02-2017, 09:37 AM
For this reason I went to a conventional fixture for actions, it facilitated cutting the lug abutments (wait for it) and touching the threads at the same time.

For changing out the stems on the depth mic, twist on the thumb ratchet on the Starret and for Mitutoyo it is in the middle of the thimble i pretty sure.

70oldsracer
04-02-2017, 10:02 AM
For this reason I went to a conventional fixture for actions, it facilitated cutting the lug abutments (wait for it) and touching the threads at the same time.

For changing out the stems on the depth mic, twist on the thumb ratchet on the Starret and for Mitutoyo it is in the middle of the thimble i pretty sure.

I was under the impression that it wasn't as critical on a Savage action due to the floating bolt head. I know Remington actions are more critical and need a real truing fixture and a mandrel that goes in the bolt raceway with 1/2" bushings and you indicate off that. My depth mic is an ez read Fowler. There is a cap on the back which I took off and there is a screw. I'm assuming I need to loosen this screw in order to remove the stem. I'll play around with the depth mic later today.

Robinhood
04-02-2017, 10:16 AM
(wait for it)

I was under the impression that it wasn't as critical on a Savage action due to the floating bolt head.

OK. I've heard that before as well. For me everything concentric and parallel is the only way to go.

You may or may not see an improvement in precision by skimming the abutments. Take your bolt out and put it in a vice. Now move the head around. My take is Savage found a very inexpensive way to machine bolts. Everything about a Savage machining and design is inexpensive. The barrel nut for example. Think of the time saved.

Bigeclipse
05-08-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm starting to believe that the best way to tell is to see how it shoots. If you're happy, it's straight enough. A person can spend a lot of time and money chasing 10ths.

agree with this. One of my semi-customs is not true...so bad that in any stock you can see the barrel getting closer to one side near the end. However, this is also one of my most accurate rifles out to 400 yards so far. Consistently shooting 2-3inch groups at 400 yards. That being said im sure it matters for either extreme long range past say 500 yards OR bench rest competitions.