PDA

View Full Version : Sig kilo 2000

SageRat Shooter
02-17-2017, 02:34 PM
I just got one yesterday, but haven't had time to play with it much yet....

Anybody have one that they can share experience with? I'm wondering how it performs on Smaller targets (Prairie dog size) at distance? Seems to be the best LRF on the market for under $1000.00 right now.

CavReconScout
02-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Mine was used at a match last fall to range 1-2 moa targets out to 600yds using a tripod mount. It worked like a champ.

huntin1
02-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Not sure about prairie dogs as I've not ranged anything that small. This past deer season I ranged deer at 800, black Angus cows at 950, tree rows at 1790 and a farm house at 2850. My hunting partner has a Swarovski, he was so impressed with my Kilo he ordered one using his phone right there in deer camp. I think he would have had them overnight the thing to him if the pasture we camp in had an address. :)

I'm pretty happy with mine.

yobuck
02-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Not sure about prairie dogs as I've not ranged anything that small. This past deer season I ranged deer at 800, black Angus cows at 950, tree rows at 1790 and a farm house at 2850. My hunting partner has a Swarovski, he was so impressed with my Kilo he ordered one using his phone right there in deer camp. I think he would have had them overnight the thing to him if the pasture we camp in had an address. :)

I'm pretty happy with mine.

Well your friend now has a rangefinder. Ive had 2 Swarovskis and both were duds. The 2nd one went back to the factory and it was still a dud.
It seemed to work ok till you really needed it, then it wouldn't. I guess they finally stopped making them.

huntin1
02-18-2017, 02:30 PM
He's had pretty good luck then, his Swarovski has worked well for him, but he always likes new things, and my Kilo was keeping right up with his swaro, so he got the Sig. He'll probably keep both. I normally buy the stuff he gets tired of, gotten some pretty good deals over the years, but I'm not going to buy his Swarovski.

yobuck
02-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Mine was probably + 95% reliable up to about 700 yds. Beyond that was the issue, some times yes, some times no.
Sun conditions no doubt were more criticle than with others ive seen and used. I have several friends who bought
the G7 unit, and my 1 experience that unit at 1600 yds on a yellow painted 2'x4' steel target and it wouldn't read it.
It was tripod mounted also so that wasent the issue. It did work on other steel targets at closer distances, so angle to the sun
no doubt plays a roll, especially at longer distances. Ive had my Leica 1600 fail to read a rock at 800, but read another right next to it.
A friend with a cheaper version Bushnell did the same thing. My Swaro just wouldn't read pine trees, I guess they don't reflect well, but
my Leica likes them and so does others ive used.

SageRat Shooter
04-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Update: So, took the kilo2000 out for some sage rat shooting.... Works pretty well out to about 250 yards on the rats... After that distance I had to start pinging fence posts, shrubs, etc... to get the estimated distance. I was able to ping cows no problem out over 1000 yards... It didn't do as well early in the morning when the sun was low in the sky (looking into it). All in all I'm pretty happy with it. As long as I can ping out to 1000 yards on decent sized targets, I think that's about all you can ask for.... pinged a little shred (old beat up homestead shack) at 950.7 yards..... After seeing how far 1000 yards is.... I'm wondering if I actually am going to be able to hit a 10" plate at that distance..... "It is one heck of a poke!!"

yobuck
04-11-2017, 09:18 AM
It is about all you can ask for. Those little units have pretty much dominated the market recently.
The sage rat or any soft target isn't the best choice in any event, and looking into the sun can cause issues for all of them.
We rarely use the actual animal when hunting deer even for that reason. A close tree or rock is our first choice to use.
And we quite often use pre ranged information on obvious objects that don't move from year to year.
Of coarse if you happen to be some place with no rocks or trees, and the rangefinder wont work,
put 85/90 clicks on and see how close you get to the plate. lol