PDA

View Full Version : Axis or model 10 action more accurate?

260Savage
02-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Hey guys I'm working on a 6.5-.284 build. I know one of the biggest reasons people frown upon the axis action is the lack of after market stuff available. It turns out that stock I want is offered in both the axis and the model 10. I'm buying an action either way. My question is, does the model 10 offer anything more than more aftermarket availability for a long action? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
02-16-2017, 01:53 PM
with a 6.5X 284 you'll need the long action.... The axis is a funny critter on how they make the change from short to long action cartridges. The only think I would say that the 10/110 action offers is the accutrigger and aftermarket options in comparison to the axis.

The axis is cheaper to start with, and it also has an enclosed port which I like, as it adds some strength to the action itself. If you've got the stock option you want with the axis, it's not a bad platform to build on... IMO

The axis trigger really sucks though, so you'll want to swap out for an aftermarket trigger or go the route of "snipping coils off the trigger spring" to lighten it.... Snipping the coil will void your warranty though... Some guys use the bic retractable pen springs and a screw to hold the new spring in.

260Savage
02-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the reply Sagerat. I should have said aodel 110 instead of a model 10.

Does the axis still have a floating bolt head and is it equal to the model 110 as far as accuracy?

I would either order an axis 2 with the accutrigger or replace the axis trigger with a jewel (if that's possible).

Thanks again for your help!

260Savage
02-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Also are axis actions a small shank?

SageRat Shooter
02-16-2017, 02:23 PM
I believe both of your trigger suggestions are possible... The jewel is my biggest ?... there is a Savage 2 trigger however. Axis still has the floating bolt head too. Best way to go would be the Axis 2 in my opinion.... As long as the stock you really want to put on it is compatible.

As far as accuracy, Yes, I think it can be as accurate as the 110. it's just a matter of how much tinkering and aftermarket parts you add to it.

My Axis (22-250) will now put 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards... (maybe a dime with a better shooter) I added a Criterion barrel, the Prairie hunter stock, and modified my stock trigger, but that's it.

I probably would have built my 260 rem off an Axis action, But I'm left handed and there aren't as many options out there for me when it comes to stocks, so the 11/111 action is what I built my 260 on.

Danatkins8605
05-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Axis is small shank. I'll let you know on accuracy between the 2 when I get my flcp-sr to the range

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk