PDA

View Full Version : Scout 11 308 inconsistent accuracy

Cappy
02-16-2017, 11:32 AM
I have a new Scout 11 .308. Issue: shot about 300 rounds through it using ZX! Nato 150gr, Aussie Outback 308 150 gr, and Beck 308 168gr. I use a sand bag. Target out at 100yds. I get inconsistent accuracy regardless of ammo. Best set of full mag 9 shots would be around 3 inches with one or two flyers and then next set of 9 shots of the same ammo sample would be around 14+ inches plus. Yes, rifle is clean. I am using a Vortex Scout scope (nice scope). I got the same lack of consistency and low accuracy results with the previous AimSport Scout scope. The plastic stock appears to be well seated and stiff. Well, by stiff I mean I could not flex it to the point it touched the barrel.

What are you all experiences with the Scout 11 and accuracy? I've also been told that removing the muzzle brake improves accuracy. Has anyone conducted tests with / without the muzzle brake.

Thx, Cappy

Newtosavage
02-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Did you check the screws on the scout mount? I know on my Model 10 scout, they needed to be tightened. I put a drop of blue thread locker on them too.

Cappy
02-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Great suggestion. No, I have not checked the screws on the actual scope mount to the barrel. I shall do so. Stand by for up dated test(s). Thanks.

Zero333
02-17-2017, 01:11 AM
How much magnification do those scout scope have ?

You really wanna know how well the rifle really shoots ??? you need at least 9x magnification at 100 yards (more magnification is better) and shoot some Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr ammo.

bearcatrp
02-17-2017, 09:08 AM
I would tell you to try superformance ammo. Good stuff. FGMM ammo is good too.

Newtosavage
02-17-2017, 09:19 AM
How much magnification do those scout scope have ?

You really wanna know how well the rifle really shoots ??? you need at least 9x magnification at 100 yards (more magnification is better) and shoot some Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr ammo. I can't really agree with this. I had a 4x Weaver scout scope on my 7.62x39 and my .308 Savages, and could easily shoot under 1.5" at 100 - often better - with it. But I have good eyes too.

kkeene
02-17-2017, 11:28 PM
I would suspect a loose or damaged scope.

Parallax can also be an issue with a forward mounted scope, make sure you are making an effort to ensure your eye is directly behind the scope . Put the gun on sand bags looking at a target at 100 yards. Without touching the rifle move your eye side to side and up and down and see how much parallax you have at low and high power if it is a variable power scope. You will see the cross hair move on the target. Lower magnification scopes are better for a scout to minimize this.

Realize that your gun will also take a conventional scope placement.

When I am very consistent with my head placement centering my eye directly in line with scope I can get 1 moa 3 shot groups with my first gen savage 7mm-08 scout w 1.75x Burris. 1st gen scouts have flimsily stocks, I also have to rest on front bag under the front action screw for best accuracy.

My thin barrel will start to wonder after the 4th round due to heat. If I want to shoot large groups I have to let it cool down. 9 shots in a row is a lot to ask of a thin barrel.

Keith

RC20
02-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Your ammo choices are somewhat odd, never hear of any of them.

If you want max accuracy it the match ammo that everyone makes these days.

That said you should not be getting that wild.

Back to rechecking everything , make sure barrel is free floating, action screws are tight and the scope mount.

Try a non scout scope on the rear mounts that is a know good one.