PDA

View Full Version : 12LRP or 10BA Stealth

MThuntr
02-15-2017, 12:37 PM
So I'm struggling with the decision of whether to get the 12LRP or the 10BA Stealth. I'll likely pick the 6.5 creedmoor as I already have a source of brass from a friend that shoots Prime ammo but doesn't reload. The end game is target shooting out to 1000 yards and not hunting. The weight of the LRP will make it such that I wouldn't be carrying it much so the Stealth would have the advantage if I wanted to carry it and shoot from different angles and distances. Advantage to the LRP for the trigger and Stock...Advantage to Stealth for weight, magazine, and "blueprinted" action but the tacticool look isn't for me.

Please help me as I get back into shooting Savage after a brief hiatus with Remington.

SlowTrigger
02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
So I'm struggling with the decision of whether to get the 12LRP or the 10BA Stealth. I'll likely pick the 6.5 creedmoor as I already have a source of brass from a friend that shoots Prime ammo but doesn't reload. The end game is target shooting out to 1000 yards and not hunting. The weight of the LRP will make it such that I wouldn't be carrying it much so the Stealth would have the advantage if I wanted to carry it and shoot from different angles and distances. Advantage to the LRP for the trigger and Stock...Advantage to Stealth for weight, magazine, and "blueprinted" action but the tacticool look isn't for me.

Please help me as I get back into shooting Savage after a brief hiatus with Remington.

Personally I would choose the LRP hands down over the Stealth. And I don't know for sure but I think the LRP might also have the blueprinted action, from what I've read on the Savage web site. Remember also that with the LRP you get the target accutrigger, which you don't get with the Stealth.

MThuntr
02-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks SlowTrigger, I wasn't sure if the action on the 12 was blueprinted or not...Probably a better choice for a dedicated target gun than the Stealth.

SlowTrigger
02-15-2017, 02:52 PM
IMO no contest. If you want a dedicated bench target gun the LRP is the way to go. You mentioned you're not into the tacticool format, and neither am I. Only downside is I think the LRP is more $$$ than the Stealth, but probably well worth it.

zach_
02-15-2017, 03:15 PM
I was told by a tech support person at Savage that the higher MSRP price point rifles had "trued" actions, including the lrp. I hope so, because I bought one recently. The weight is not an issue while shooting. I am sure it tames whatever recoil there is with the 6.5. My 7 lb. 243 kicks harder.
I did not mind the tacticoolness of the Stealth, but I do like the ability to have my bipod much further forward on the lrp. The Darkeagle mags work well too.

MThuntr
02-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Zach thanks for the heads up on the DarkEagle mags. I placed my order for the 12LRP on my lunch break.

10ring1
02-15-2017, 08:33 PM
I have the lrp in 6.5 and while it is heavy, it shoots like a house on fire!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

zach_
02-19-2017, 06:03 PM
Zach thanks for the heads up on the DarkEagle mags. I placed my order for the 12LRP on my lunch break.
If you are going with the 6.5 and shoot factory ammo, mine likes the 140 ELD Hornady. It also shoots nearly as consistently with the Winchester 140 match. The 143 Hornady precision Hunter work well. The 120 to 129 grain AMAX and superformance ammo was not that bad, but not as good as the others I mentioned. I have not had the opportunity to shoot the 140 AMAX. A little patience will help with the bolt removal/installation if you are not familiar with it yet.