PDA

View Full Version : 111 LRH 7mm Rem Mag accuracy

BJames777
02-14-2017, 01:39 AM
Been looking to see what others have found to be the overall most accurate factory ammunition in the LRH in 7mm Rem Mag. Been messing around with a lot of brands and the last one I used was the 162gr ELD-X Hornady Precision Hunter. Was not too impressed with this last one and really not too impressed with any others for that matter. My old 111 FCNS in 7mm Rem Mag is twice the rifle this one is and so maybe we have issues here other than the ammo. My FCNS is accurate out to 600 yards. The new 111 LRH I purchased is very inaccurate and not consistent out to 300 yards. I have gone through the all the checks I know of that plague Savages and there seems to be no improvement. I bought this rifle specifically for.............. Long Range Hunting................and topped it off with a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 FFP. Set it up like I have with all my other long range rifles (95% Savage) and went to work. I have shot 128 rounds through the rifle and it really is disappointing, completely opposite of what I was expecting and from what I have experienced with all my other Savages over the years. My 338 HS Precision build is as accurate as can be and had only very minor teething issues, not unlike any other rifle, but afterwards it fell into place and is one of my most accurate and favorite rifles to shoot. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have gone over the rifle with a fine tooth comb and cannot seem to find the issue(s) that are making this rifle shoot horribly especially for a Savage.

RustyShackle
02-14-2017, 02:08 AM
What is horrible accuracy? Have you tried swapping the scope for a known good one? Sometimes even premium optics go on the fritz.

Robinhood
02-14-2017, 03:13 AM
Im with Rusty. Try another optic. In your search did you find any issues with the action screw torque? Plastic trigger guard etc...

RC20
02-14-2017, 03:13 PM
What are you actually getting accuracy wise?

Sometimes a gun just is not happy with anything factory and the only fix is hand loads or a new barrel.

bossmav
02-14-2017, 04:52 PM
What are you actually getting accuracy wise?

Sometimes a gun just is not happy with anything factory and the only fix is hand loads or a new barrel.

+1
I have found this to be true for most rifles, the only true way to get where your going is with reloading.

RC20
02-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Funny thing is factory ammo in most categories is getting awfully good, you pay for it, but good.

My old Ruger 7mm did not care if I hand loaded or factory. It was a 1.5 MOA no matter what.

More than good enough for hunting!

I don't know if 7mm is getting better though, my hunting days are over and I have not kept up with it.

Its not the choice these days of LR Shooting though not out of it either.

BJames777
02-14-2017, 10:39 PM
At 100 yards, the best grouping I can get is approximately 1.6. The same ammo in my old 111 FCNS will lay the rounds virtually on top of each other. I did this test today. Both were mounted on an identical lead sled and I had 2 others there that are VERY experienced shooters taking turns firing the rifles. We used the same Hornaday 162 grain as I mentioned in the original post, moved to Barnes, then to Blackhills. The LRH is just awful. We even swapped out the scope with one of my Vari X III after disassembling the rifle to inspect everything with additional eyes and putting it back together. Once again the results are pretty much the same. Went back to the original Vortex I put on and fired another 20 rounds and it's the same scenario. Cleaned the barrel, borescoped the barrel and took measurements with the same borescope I use in my business inspecting jet engines, and nothing is out of whack internally. Externally, short of removing the barrel, everything else seems to be straight and within spec. Just can't seem to find the issue.

RC20
02-15-2017, 12:50 PM
The issue may simply be its a different barrel and does not like what its seeing.

Some can be like that. Hand loaders tend to be able to get them to shoot because they can use a variety of different mfgs Bullets and Powder (primers and cases sometimes play a role)

Something you are also stuck with is the COAL of the case, that too is a tuning tool for a re-loader and in some barrels its a major factor.

You can contact Savage, new gun and it doesn't shoot for them they are very likely to replace the barrel.

While I agree that 1.6 inch is not great, its spot on for what I hunted with and at least back in those days was the norm.

RustyShackle
02-15-2017, 09:14 PM
hmm, yeah that sound like a candidate to send back. Curious have you tried shooting and match ammo through it? If that isn't too much to ask, see if that improves your results. I think that is what Savage will do and if it groups that ammo to spec?(not sure what Savage's criteria is?) then they will send it back.

Keep us updated please.

Thanks

BJames777
02-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Looks like I'm going to send it back. Sucks but after trying several more boxes of match ammo, I am at the point money wise that I could have put on a new barrel. Very very disaapointed in this rifle. Will keep you all posted on what Savage decides to do.

tb80
12-05-2017, 01:54 AM
What was savages response?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk