PDA

View Full Version : Savage 116 Aftermarket Stock for Bipod

wannakillabigbull
02-13-2017, 10:28 AM
New to the forum. Just picked up a 116 Trophy Hunter XP for $500 and am super excited, but apparently I missed the memo that the factory stock forend has no stiffness and apparently won't shoot well with a bipod. I put my bipod on and the stock is definitely going to touch the barrel. This rifle will mainly be used for hunting out west and I need it to shoot well with a bipod on uneven ground. Does anyone recommend a good stock that would meet my needs? Looking to stay relatively light and not pay over $150.

I browsed other similarish treads and saw people recommending the Choate and the Boyd's stocks. Is the Choate stiff enough to be used with a bipod in hunting conditions? The Boyd's are wood so I imagine they will suit my needs too, but I can't find how much they weigh......thanks for the help!

foxx
02-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Choate is good and stiff, probably more than $150.

Boyds will get you what you are asking for price-wise (without checkering). Checkering will add about $55.

wannakillabigbull
02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Norm, I understand you're a Boyd's dealer. Can you talk me through the Boyd's? I go to Boyd's find a stock and put in savage/116 th xp/dbm and it gives me options. I choose to customize, go for say pepper laminate, add a limbsaver recoil pad and I'm sitting at $153 + tax. That will be a relative drop in and be better than the factory superflexy stock? Also, any idea what the weight of these Boyd's stocks are? They aren't listed anywhere.....

foxx
02-13-2017, 02:01 PM
yep. That stock should be very close to 2 1/2 pounds.

If you stay with the plastic bottom magazine, you will also need a plastic bottom metal piece for wood stocks... Savage Customer service will send you one for about $15.
It will be a WHOLE LOT better than the factory stock, i promise you. They are supposed to be "drop in", but sometimes you gotta relieve the inside around the trigger assembly area or else it snags a bit. They are not pillared, though, which could cause a problem for you down the road. Be sure you put in the right model... 16 is short action, 116 is long action.