PDA

View Full Version : Scope for .243

Mr. Snerdley
08-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Hello,

This is my first post. I have a .243 Savage package gun that I bought at Wal Mart. It had the cheap Simmons 3x9 power scope that I figured I would use on my .22 and get a good scope for the .243. Actually, the Simmons scope didn't seem to be that bad, but I know there are much better ones but for a .22 it surely would be good enough, is this correct? Also, I know this question has been asked numerous times, but what would be a good scope for the .243. I am not looking for the finest optics, just want a good, dependable scope that will not be ruined by recoil and will hold its zero. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and, this is just my opinion, it seems to me if you spend $215-$250 on a Bushnell, Nikon or Weaver scope it will get the job done. If a person would run across a special on any of these scopes you probably would be satisfied, is this correct? I am just an amateur and would be very happy if I could get the rifle to shoot in an inch or inch and a half consistently. It actually would do this with the Simmons scope, but I don't know for how long.

Thanks for any replies.

rjtfroggy
08-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Right now Simmons is running a special on the AETEC 2.8-10 and for the price it is a good deal.I have an older one on my mod.11 243 and would not change it,glass is clear,it is IR model so it is nice in low light,it didn't cost an arm and leg to buy so I don't have to worry about banging it up when hunting.Now if it was for a precision target gun then I would be looking at a good Nikon or maybe one of the Vortex scopes.

powderburn
08-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi I just bought one of these pioneer scopes in 4.5-14 and I am very happy with it. I got the 4.5-14 at bestbuy.com on close out for $145 but the link below has the 3-9 which is a bit smaller and they would probably price match on the 4.5-14. These scopes are suppose to be built by Burris and do in fact appear to be so . Mine is brand new so I can't give you a long term assessment but I am very impressed with the fit and finish and the optics . Camera Land had some but they don't list them anymore so I suppose they are sold out. This would be a good low$ option imho.

http://swfa.com/Pentax-3-9x40-Pioneer-Rifle-Scope-P40165.aspx

lostart
08-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Take a look at the new redfields or the vortex crossfire. Both great scopes for the money. I have the redfield and don't regret it one bit. I have looked at the crossfire and would like to add one soon, but will probably spring for the diamondback by vortex.

pdog06
08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
The best deal on the market right now is the Vortex Viper sale going on. You can buy them from 200-275 depending on reticle and magnification. These scopes work flawlessly, and are built very tough.

Look at the Cameraland site(site sponsor here, and also has the best price on them), or also the SWFA site.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexoptics

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-Rifle-Scopes-C1410.aspx

McKinneyMike
08-20-2010, 10:40 AM
The best deal on the market right now is the Vortex Viper sale going on. You can buy them from 200-275 depending on reticle and magnification. These scopes work flawlessly, and are built very tough.

Agree 100%! Unbelievable deal on a high quality optic! I had to buy two at those prices :)

GentleBen
08-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Nikon Buckmaster is in your price range and would do nicely. Their 4.5-14x40 is offered with a mil-dot reticle, as are some of their 6-18x40s. Their fine cross hair 1/8 dot models are nice, too. Oddly, for the price, Nikon's Buckmaster line is better than Nikon's higher priced Monarch line. I've owned about 10 of both kinds and Buckmaster beats Monarch in cost to quality ratio.

About 6-7 years ago, Nikon's Monarch was one of the best, but something happen to their quality when it fell in love with the BDC crap reticles.

tammons
08-25-2010, 08:24 PM
What zoom range ??