PDA

View Full Version : Which 6.5?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

keeki
02-13-2017, 04:33 AM
Ok guys, gonna build me a 6.5 long range/ hunting rig and need some advice. I'm torn on which one to actually build. I reload, paper shoot, varmint hunt, deer hunt, etc. Someone give me some pros and cons on which one to build, I already have 2 long actions, a wsm action, and a short action small shank, so actions are not the issue. Which one is easiest/cheapest to load for, which is inherently most accurate, which has the best "usable" velocity, etc., etc. Talk me into or out of one. I'm looking at a 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5-06ai, creedmoor, 6.5wsm or anything else someone can throw at me

65Whelen
02-13-2017, 10:34 AM
As I just posted in another thread I like the Creedmoor. You're already on the right path with the 6.5 bullet. All the calibers you mention are great rounds but for a hunting rig the Creed is low recoil, accuracte and easily a 500 yrs gun.

SageRat Shooter
02-13-2017, 12:14 PM
or the 260 Remington... Pretty much the same as 6.5 creed. But has a little more case capacity... Also works in a long action, so you can still load the VLD's from the mag. I'm halfway through my build, just waiting on the barrel at this point.

That's my vote.

keeki
02-13-2017, 12:36 PM
I thought about the creed, but it's really nothing but a detuned 260rem with alot of hype behind it. Then I thought about the 260 and said hell, 260 ai sounds a bit better. But all being said the 6.5-284 held the 1000 yd record for like 5 years didn't it? People have also said it's a finicky round to load for. Several shooters told me to go with the 6.5-06ai, said it was easier to load for, cheaper to load for, better on brass, better velocity, and just as accurate or more accurate than the others. Hence is why I'm asking. I've never messed with the 6.5 anything

SageRat Shooter
02-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Keeki,

All of what you said is true.... I don't know what you want to have for a Barrel life, but the other ones you mentioned have barrel lives of less than 3000 rounds. the 260 has been known to get 5000 rounds if not loaded over 2800 fps using 140 gr. pills.

keeki
02-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Barrel is what it is, I can change barrels pretty easily. I'm more into the accuracy and the ease to obtain that accuracy and not wasting 300 Rds and countless hours trying to find that node. Was looking more into the 6.5-284 vs the 6.5-06ai. Have not ruled out the 260 or the 260 ai tho, just not enough velocity difference in those 4 rounds to worry about, or at least that's what I've read

homefrontsniper
02-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Keeki,

All of what you said is true.... I don't know what you want to have for a Barrel life, but the other ones you mentioned have barrel lives of less than 3000 rounds. the 260 has been known to get 5000 rounds if not loaded over 2800 fps using 140 gr. pills.

Dont know bout 3000 rounds maybe 1000 to 1800 someone will know more.

homefrontsniper
02-13-2017, 02:38 PM
I think the creedmoor is more accurate then the .260 just saying.

SageRat Shooter
02-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Dont know bout 3000 rounds maybe 1000 to 1800 someone will know more.

I was trying to be on the conservative side.... Wasn't sure if he was going to be shooting in matches or just for fun... For Match I've heard the 1800 rounds number....

65Whelen
02-13-2017, 07:41 PM
The Creed is a more efficient and inherently accurate cartridge than the 260. Also, when reloading to mag length you don't need to set the bullet as deep as a 260 which offsets the slight capacity advantage of the 260. Admittedly this is kinda splitting hair but hey the devil is in the details. You seem to be leaning toward the long action, then I'd do the 6.5-06 the 6.5x284 is just to much, a barrel burner but if you like that why not the 26 Nosler. JMHO

keeki
02-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Has anyone ever compared the 6.5-06ai with the 6.5-284? My understanding is the 6.5-06 and 6.5-284 is pretty much a push, but how does the ackley compare

dfrosch
02-13-2017, 10:10 PM
In late 2014, I built a 270 WSM. About the time it was finished, I was wishing it was a 6.5 SAUM 4S. It has 200+ fps over the plain 06 and 284 variants. GAP has Hornady brass at $155/100.

m12lrs
02-13-2017, 10:18 PM
+1 for.the 6.5 SAUM most definitely for.a long range hunting round

I would.go creedmore for.a.range.gun. in fact i have. The.new.6.5 creedmoor small.primer lapua brass is what i have been waiting on. Its here if you can find it in stock.

keeki
02-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Havnt thought or read much about the saum, sounds like a lot of powder for minimal gains, but I will look at it. Leaning heavily towards the 6.5-06ai for now unless I can hear some real negatives on it

darkker
02-15-2017, 01:11 PM
I thought about the creed, but it's really nothing but a detuned 260rem with alot of hype behind it. Then I thought about the 260 and said hell, 260 ai sounds a bit better. But all being said the 6.5-284 held the 1000 yd record for like 5 years didn't it? People have also said it's a finicky round to load for. Several shooters told me to go with the 6.5-06ai, said it was easier to load for, cheaper to load for, better on brass, better velocity, and just as accurate or more accurate than the others. Hence is why I'm asking. I've never messed with the 6.5 anything Few things are off here. First the Creed isn't a de-tuned 260, it's a more efficient 260 that actually works from mag length in a short action with match bullets. Less capacity? Yes. More efficient and same velocity from less powder? Yes. If you don't have any interest in it, that's fine; but don't invent false reasons; just say you don't get excited about it. The 222 held a literal mountain of records for accuracy for a very long time, so that alone shouldn't be your guide. The 6.5-06AI has no published data, so "easier" to load for is false. Given how much powder it burns over the 260/Creed, is also isn't "cheaper". The "my dad is more accurate than your dad" argument is a fools argument, so avoid those discussions. Easier on brass? Not that anyone can prove. Since the 1950's when Olin used to be a force, NO ONE lists the alloy or heat treat specs that they build brass to. Look around online at the legions of posts where people completely ignore any rational thought and actually use their chronograph. They use the "I didn't see no 'signs' of brass stretch, so I must not be over SAAMI pressure". Really?? Every SAAMI member has known for decades that CUP is inappropriate to use for any cartridge over @ 45,000 psi, as it reports false pressures to the tune of 20,000 psi. So somehow I am supposed to magically believe that Bubba can stare at his brass, when he doesn't know it's composition or tensile strength, and magically he can tell the pressures he is running??? I don't think so Tim... If the average reloader wants to know pressures, then watch your chronograph. regardless of charge weight, when you meet or exceed Book velocity, you have met or exceeded book pressure. If you wanted to get down to the nitty gritty and honestly know your exact pressures, then buy a Pressure Trace. I can tell you from the tests that we have run on a 308 and a Creedmoor, that the usual names in brass that you know typically don't show "signs" of pressure or stretching until you reach the 70-75,000 psi mark. So the moral of the story is that you should build something that interests you, not something that is or isn't what the cool kids tell you is betterer. More powder, not minor amounts but substantial as in the 06 case, will give higher velocities, but will cost you more in components and shorter bore life. Everything is consumable and has trade-offs. Just a question of what excites you more.

schnyd112
02-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Before darkker went all pressure trace on us, I totally agree with him. .260 is what .308 should have been. 6.5 creed is what .260 should have been. You can probably run .260 hotter and faster, but not by much and you are definitely going to be using more powder and probably be right on the hairy edge of "max" pressure.(Each rifle can tolerate and determine its own limitations. It is up to the loader to decide what is comfortable, safe and acceptable from each load)

The creed is more efficient with less body taper, has the sharper shoulder which I prefers but the benefits are debateable, and will feed from a standard short action, dbm with the heavies. Sure I can mag feed my .260, but I am not getting 2850 fps and tiny groups when I do. Barrel life will be about the same, 2500rds of top shelf accuracy. Lapua will have brass for both, if not creed brass is a short project from .260. I would have no qualms taking game with any of them out to 600. All will shoot 3times that far at paper and steel.

i always figure if you are going to go with something holding 50+ grains of powder, it would be better pushing a 7mm bullet. Nothing wrong with the 6.5's, but I like them with 40-45 grains out of a short action.

m12lrs
02-15-2017, 06:30 PM
And new small primer lapua brass is now available for the 6.5 creedmoor if you can find it in stock.

dfrosch
02-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Havnt thought or read much about the saum, sounds like a lot of powder for minimal gains, but I will look at it. Leaning heavily towards the 6.5-06ai for now unless I can hear some real negatives on it

The 6.5 SAUM uses about the same amount of powder as the 6.5-06AI and runs 100+ fps faster in a short action. I just scanned a few loads, so look for yourself:
http://www.reloadersnest.com/rifle.asp

The GAP 6.5 SAUM 4S is recent version that has a pretty strong following. But most of those guys spend a lot more on rifles than we do...

keeki
02-15-2017, 09:48 PM
I'm all about velocity but I'm more about accuracy, if ya can't hit what your shooting at, it's just a fast miss. I didn't mean to butt hurt anyone over the creedmoor. I thought I made it clear that I was blind when it come to 6.5's.

schnyd112
02-16-2017, 02:26 AM
The big 6.5's have always been around. .264 mag has been a laser beam since the 70's. They are money game calibers, pushing 140 grain bullets at 3200fps plus. Flat, aerodynamic, and lightning fast, they come and go. They are in right now. Barrels last longer and are easier to get. There are more competent gunsmiths than ever before that can cut a chamber and thread a barrel capable of amazing things. I like speed, but I have also seen 140g bullets blow up on impact and leave game limping, but not mortally wounded. Fast is a lot of fun on smaller game, but tracking a wounded deer is never good.

I thought a .260 was as much as you could get from a standard, short action. I think the 6.5 creed addresses all the shortcomings of the .260 rem. I think if you decide to go 6.5x284, you should seriously consider 6.5x55 swede before making a decision. I think if you step up to a -06 or shortmag based case, you would be better 7mm bullet.