PDA

View Full Version : I think I may have a problem.....

flatshooter
08-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Tonight I noticed the closed bolt on my .243 has movement in it. I placed my fingers on the bolt and my thumb under the action on the stock and squeezed. I saw movement. A considerable amount. I didn't notice it with a snap cap chambered or on my .270 though. What gives? I know the rear baffle on the bolt head is floating for bolt head alignment. My .243 is older than my.270, since 04 did Savage change a design to tighten up the rear baffle?

ofdscooby
08-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I noticed mine doing the same thing one night and I freaked out then I cycled the bolt and it was tight again. When you pull the trigger the bolt is loose in the gun and tight when cocked and ready. I don't know if that what you're talking about but it was a learning expierence for me.

flatshooter
08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah I guess it's ok... Thanks. ::)

Charleslv
08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Yes this is normal for a Savage 110 rifle. THe bolt will be tight as long as the sear is engaged (You have not pulled the trigger) Very noticable when you do not have a round in the chamber nd you pulll the triggere. The mechanism that is charging the firing pin is holding it back forcing the lugs to engage when you pull the trigger and release the pressure if there is no round in the chamber the bolt will move forward a tad and becuase of the tollerance it can be real loose. I have some that are looser then other but they all shoot 100% fine. Infact the cycle better then the stiff ones.