PDA

View Full Version : Which aftermarket bottom metal?

aephilli822
02-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Lets try this a different way.
Who is using what aftermarket bottom metal? What do you like/not like about it?
I see Accuracy International, Accurate Mag, PTG, MDT, and CDI. Any others I should consider? Do they all take the same mags?
Advantages/disadvantages as compared to factory? If I want factory, where is best place to get it? (since the Savage store is down until nobody knows when)

iflyskyhigh
02-11-2017, 04:49 PM
I just put an MDT Chassis on my 10FCP-SR. LOVE it. I ordered a couple of their 8 round mags to match the FDE of the chassis. I also have some Magpul AC compatible mags. Both work and feed fine. One thing I did find was that I had to substantially shorten my COAL to fit the MDT mags. The stock Savage mag is very accommodating for LONG COAL's. Also ordered a butt pad and adapter from Brownells for the PRS stock. I was surprised how much the standard Savage stock absorbed of the recoil. One day shooting 100 rounds or so and I had a bruise in the pocket of my shoulder. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/71c11f582830ec56a9159b35f9bd1b79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toftwo
02-12-2017, 01:20 PM
I just put an MDT Chassis on my 10FCP-SR. LOVE it. I ordered a couple of their 8 round mags to match the FDE of the chassis. I also have some Magpul AC compatible mags. Both work and feed fine. One thing I did find was that I had to substantially shorten my COAL to fit the MDT mags. The stock Savage mag is very accommodating for LONG COAL's. Also ordered a butt pad and adapter from Brownells for the PRS stock. I was surprised how much the standard Savage stock absorbed of the recoil. One day shooting 100 rounds or so and I had a bruise in the pocket of my shoulder. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/71c11f582830ec56a9159b35f9bd1b79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funny you mentioned recoil, that was my main concern about a chassis using AR stocks. Those were designed behind a gasser, so they weren't too concerned with recoil, but put it behind a bolt gun, they aren't the most absorbing things out there!

teele1
02-13-2017, 06:21 PM
I love my CDI on both my Medalists. Works great with my AICS and Magpul mags Fit and function work great on all 4 of my short action staggered actions.

aephilli822
02-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info
I'm guessing there is a reason the Accurate Mag is cheaper than the rest?

teele1
02-14-2017, 10:02 AM
I don't own an Accurate Mag but have friends that run Accurate Mags in CDI bottom metal with no issues.

iflyskyhigh
02-14-2017, 11:37 AM
funny you mentioned recoil, that was my main concern about a chassis using AR stocks. Those were designed behind a gasser, so they weren't too concerned with recoil, but put it behind a bolt gun, they aren't the most absorbing things out there!

This is the adapter I ordered for the PRS. MUCH MUCH better.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-pads/rifle/ar-15-m16-prs-recoil-pad-adapters-prod43839.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boostless
02-16-2017, 03:33 PM
I have the PTG bottom metal, using AI mags I haven't had any feeding problems out of it. It was installed by Manners when my stock was completed, they have you send the rifle out so they can bed them. I only have 25 rounds through it so far though.