PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy/barrel change.

oldguy
08-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm shooting a Model 12 BTVS 223 with reloads I see a consistent .500 average have about 700 rounds down barrel in time I want to purchase a Shilen match grade barrel whats my odds of getting less then .500 with a Shilen.??

I've been advised to use a custom barrel eliminate the locking lug, Squaring off the receiver face, lapping bolt lugs, install custom recoil lug and recrowning would possibly get me down to .250, thoughts.

I've never changed out a barrel or had any custom work done on a rifle.

flatshooter
08-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I've been advised to use a custom barrel eliminate the locking lug, Squaring off the receiver face, lapping bolt lugs, install custom recoil lug and recrowning would possibly get me down to .250, thoughts...

Negetive.. no need to do any of above. Handloading will help, Shilen makes drop in barrels for your rifle. Buy a wrench for savage nuts(you'll need a long breaker bar to bust loose the nut, it's factory tight!!), head space gauges, and barrel vice, (unless you know some one with a arbor press, (use wooden blocks with sandpaper to grip barrel) contoured to the barrel of your choice), and rebarrel. I have a McGowen with a 11 degree crown. And it shoots .25 inch groups at 100 yards and I've shot 1 inch groups at 300.

82boy
08-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Your gun will shoot about the same with a Shilen barrel, there is more to accuracy than parts, the shooter needs to do their part as well. I would start with investing in a good rest, a set of wind flags, and better reloading equipment first. The gun should be able to shoot all .5 five shoot 100 yard groups out of the box with occasional .3 5 shot 100 yard groups.

I don't know about the advise you have been given , sound like it is coming from a Remington person, that doesn't understand Savage rifles. I have no idea what they are talking about with "eliminate the locking lug." Sounds dangerous to me. "lapping bolt lugs" is not necessary in a Savage and will not make a difference. Savage uses a floating bolt head which will make contact, if anything the ramps need re-cut, to be square. Why re-crown a new barrel, it don't make sense. Custom recoil lug is an good idea with a barrel change, but nothing is said about bedding the stock.

SSS offers a Time and true job with address the problems with a Savage rifle, such as the receiver being warped, and facing the front of the action, re cutting the ramps, and a few more things, but it will not shrink groups as much as you are looking for, it is more of a smoothness thing, to keep the rifle from being disturbed.

A Savage action is able to compete with high end custom action in the area of acuracy.(.1's .2's) Most guns shoot better than the shooter. The thing to remember is it is a combination of skill, and equipment, one will not work without the other.

358Hammer
08-19-2010, 10:51 AM
A BIG +1 to what 82 said.

Then again we really never know ones abilities. If you shoot that .5 every time you go out then a scope with a smaller crosshair may be in order. I fine crosshair for me was required so I could aim smaller if you will. More magnification has allowed me to literally dissect a bullet hole.

Neal

oldguy
08-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I do reload using Laupa brass, tried different dies, bullets,powder, basically I've been shooting 40+ years, have a heavy bench set up, flags, etc.

My main question was the change over to a match barrel would provide additional accuracy but seems to be some mixed feeling on that and also my concern why spend the money if it wont provide that additional 1/4 inch or less.

I was concerned with the advice given me by a local smith I also had doubts on his Savage knowledge.

This is an excellent rifle however we always try to do better,my last rifle was an old model Ruger 77v it would shoot
,250 groups fairly consistent that was a factory barrel.

I recently read that one might expect 1 out of 3 barrels to be that good however my guess it would be 1 out of 10.

I do appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Uncle Jack
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Depending upon your needs and expectations, I would seriously question the wisdom of tearing apart a rifle that consistantly delivers .500" groups without checking out some other things first; ammunition, bedding, trigger, scope, etc.

Remember the first law of gunsmithing, "Modify the cheapest part first."

uj

358Hammer
08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Based on the update I would not hesitate. Buy a new custom barrel. Not sure I would limit myself to a Shilen though.

Any number of good barrel makers out there. A good barrel will shoot most all loads into a .5 group. The good barrels will take a sweet load and cut that group in half.

I would not get ride of the nut under any circumstance though. I like the benefit of changing my barrels any time I want without getting special tools or paying another to do it. ellimating the nut is someone not familier with the benefits one gets when buying a Savage. Changing boltheads,firing pins and barrels is a way of life for us.
204 Ruger to 460 Weatherby is exciting just thinking about it.

Neal

gotcha
08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
old guy, hey there! Sometimes you just get stuck between a rock and a hard spot. ;) I recently bought a Leupold 6X18 w/ a 1/4" moa target dot for a righteous price. Coupled the scope w/ a target down loaded from 6br.com. designed by Ted Conway which featured small circles w/ a dot at the center. the 1/4 moa dot fit perfectly in the center of the dot @ 18 power. The result = noticeably smaller groups at 100 yds. ( hold small-shoot small) The advice from the above posters is "spot on". These guys & others posting here have helped me a great deal. I've been shooting about 30 yrs. Some people might say I have one years experience 30 times :D Keep your mind open to advice you find here. It worked for me!-------- And I'm an "old guy" too.

oldguy
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
old guy, hey there! Sometimes you just get stuck between a rock and a hard spot. ;) I recently bought a Leupold 6X18 w/ a 1/4" moa target dot for a righteous price. Coupled the scope w/ a target down loaded from 6br.com. designed by Ted Conway which featured small circles w/ a dot at the center. the 1/4 moa dot fit perfectly in the center of the dot @ 18 power. The result = noticeably smaller groups at 100 yds. ( hold small-shoot small) The advice from the above posters is "spot on". These guys & others posting here have helped me a great deal. I've been shooting about 30 yrs. Some people might say I have one years experience 30 times :D Keep your mind open to advice you find here. It worked for me!-------- And I'm an "old guy" too.

For sure we never stop learning and aways anxious to read advice, normally I shoot at super small targets, currently using ring binder supports(color) that have a 1/2 dot in center, aim small hit small for sure.

I've shot long enough to recognize when I'm screwing up and when I do I take a break relax and return to shooting.

oldguy
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a custom barrel they have had good results with. I"m just in the planning stages
as i rack up rounds down range I will need to change in any event.

memilanuk
08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
A pre-threaded and chambered barrel from SSS - either Douglas or Brux - should meet your requirements pretty easily. If you want more 'off the shelf', look to Northland Shooters Supply or Sin Arms section in the vendor classifieds - they should all work pretty well for you.

Bad Water Bill
08-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Oldguy Since no one knows where you live I would like to invite you AND your rifle to the Indiana shoot next weekend. I am quite sure Pat Fred and Brad would not mind burning up some of YOUR ammo to see if the bbl should be replaced. Pat just got rid of a 22-250 that had worn out 4 plastic boxes just from putting reloaded brass in them. Pat said the bbl could still take off the left wing onky on a mosquitoe at 500 yards on a hot windy day. ;D ;D

oldguy
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Oldguy Since no one knows where you live I would like to invite you AND your rifle to the Indiana shoot next weekend. I am quite sure Pat Fred and Brad would not mind burning up some of YOUR ammo to see if the bbl should be replaced. Pat just got rid of a 22-250 that had worn out 4 plastic boxes just from putting reloaded brass in them. Pat said the bbl could still take off the left wing onky on a mosquitoe at 500 yards on a hot windy day. ;D ;D

Texas, IN little out of the way but would be great to have them fire it, if they could get .250 out of it I would shut up
and simply shoot it. ;D

1Shot
08-19-2010, 07:59 PM
...If you want 1/4" groups you better start playing with powder & OAL...Might even throw in some neck tension adjustments just for good measures... ;)

oldguy
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
...If you want 1/4" groups you better start playing with powder & OAL...Might even throw in some neck tension adjustments just for good measures... ;)

I used H322, V133, and Varget which have given best results, 50gr berger,52gr berger, 52sierra,55Berger,64gr Berger, 69gr sierra, all match type, it perfers the 52gr and I was suprised because of the 1/9 twist i expected good results with the 69gr match Sierra ,but not consistant. Played with OAL. I won't give up until I burn it out. ;D

82boy
08-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I would say N133 and 52 gr bullets would be the trick. Try diferen tseating depths, dont be afraid to experiment. Try everything from touching to .080 off the lands.

1Shot
08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
...Yup, VV-133 for the berger 52's should geter done..Varget for the 69's & 322 for the rest..

....Only 3@100 but you get the idea...vv & berger 52's...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/2.jpg

oldguy
08-20-2010, 10:21 AM
The 52 Berger is my favorite with 52 sierra match king second, will experiment with the oal more and I appreciate the suggestions.