PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 5 round mag included with my Mark II FV SR split apart the first time I used it

Smurf Hunter
02-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Here's the message I sent to Savage customer support. 13 days and no contact from them.

I recently purchased a savage mark ii rifle from XXXX.Today I went to the range to zero a scope I had installed, but had numerous feeding issues. Because I had also bought a spare magazine, I was able to compare. I determined the included magazine had separated along the seam where the sheet metal is joined. I can squeeze this back into shape, but any firm handling can work it apart.
Please see attached photos. Is this something I can fix at home or do you recommend I not use the problem magazine?

http://imgur.com/KQrstUf.jpg

I'm fairly handy and think I could repair this with epoxy, JB Weld or something, but it does irritate me a bit that it broke the first time shooting, and I have not heard a response from Savage.

The 10 rounder I bought off the shelf operates perfectly, so I'm sure this magazine is the trouble.

Any suggestions?

Phranque
02-10-2017, 11:11 PM
I've always loved my MKII's, but as cheesily as the mags are made, I'm very surprised this doesn't happen more often. Honestly, my 5-rounders are in a box somewhere... I never use them. I'd just chalk it up and go get another 10... to me, that little thing wouldn't even be worth the irritation.

Smurf Hunter
02-13-2017, 12:58 PM
I think you are right. It's funny the 5 and 10 rounders are the same price, at least the places I've shopped. It's not as if the 5 rounder sits flush into the stock, so may as well go for the capacity I think.

valvestem
04-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Other fellows have "fixed" this issue with 2 part epoxy after degreasing, or JB Weld as well. One fellow simply pushed it back together, and used a cold chisel to wack the edge of the proud tab to sort of peen it so it cant fit back through the slot.