PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16 bolt fit looks odd, rear baffle missing?

jimk59
02-10-2017, 12:43 AM
First post and could use a little help. I bought a new model 16 trophy hunter package in 6.5 creedmoor. I shot a couple of rounds and then noticed what looks like an odd gap or a part missing. No pic on the Savage website looks like my rifle. I did search the box and finally found a C shaped part with a set screw. As a new member I can't post a pic but looking at the manual the uninstalled part is 12b, the rear baffle on the bolt. What does it do and how could this rifle have made it out of final inspection? Can I install it myself and will it be safe? Thanks.

RustyShackle
02-10-2017, 12:59 AM
Yes you can install it yourself. Pretty simple as it just 'clips' on with a spring loaded detent ball.

Call savage customer service, they should be able to get you squared away.

cheers,

and WELCOME TO S.S. !

short round
02-10-2017, 10:48 AM
With out rear baffle there is no primary extraction. Also it is there for protection, from hot gas, if there is case failure. The baffle can accidentally or intentionally be removed from bolt by rotating it counter clockwise & pushing forward. No problem with reinstalling yourself. It has spring & two balls, not set screw.

Zero333
02-10-2017, 05:28 PM
You can post pic through photobucket.

jimk59
02-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Yes you can install it yourself. Pretty simple as it just 'clips' on with a spring loaded detent ball.

Call savage customer service, they should be able to get you squared away.

cheers,

and WELCOME TO S.S. !

Got it done and now sighted in. Thanks!