PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Jmscon
02-09-2017, 08:03 PM
I've been lurking for a while and just joined. First thread!

So, I have and axis in .30-06 that I acquired a few years ago. I followed the 100 shot break in method that savage recommended at the time (not sure if they still recommend it). Always has been a 3" or so group at 100yrds. And barely can get through a box before the group opens up from fouling. Usually I shoot three shots and let the barrel cool down but doesn't help with grouping until I clean it.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the barrel, stock and trigger (not accutrigger). I can get a unfired 110 take off for $85 and a Boyd's stock. I'd be out about $400 and should have a decent rifle. Right?

But my current thought is sell the axis and put the money towards a 10/110 or 16/116 or? I can get a ss 116 trophy hunter xp with a Nikon (would replace this with my current scope) for about $600 plus tax (9.8%) at the store. Plus there are more after market stocks available and if down the line wanted to upgrade the barrel I can still do that.

I hunt big game, exclusively, in North America with this rifle and want to be able to be confidant with making up to a 400 yard shot.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
jmscon

olddav
02-09-2017, 08:26 PM
I believe that the 10/110 family of rifles use the same barrels as the Axis. The 10/110 rifles have more available options in stocks, triggers and bolt handles but the Axis is capable of shooting as good as a 10/110. Checkout the Axis forum.

olddav
02-09-2017, 08:28 PM
What ammo are you shooting and have you tried different brands?

darkker
02-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Unfortunately we need a lot more info about what you are using, tried, and how.
One type of ammo? 6 types? different bullets and weights? From a rest, towel?
Is it freefloated?

As far as the barrel, I don't believe they have different lines of production. So one pencil barrel is in theory, the same as the rest. I wouldn't get to excited for another take-off to suddenly just be better.
The 30-06 is a lot of boom in a pencil barrel, so heat and whip can be a serious problem.

Jmscon
02-09-2017, 11:50 PM
I shoot on a bench. I have tried corelocts, Winchester, federal blue and federal red in 165 and 180 grns. My go to hunting round is federal red 180 grn. with a nosler ballistic tip. Winchester was the worst but it was also the cheapest that I put down the tube.

I have tried to find out online if there was a difference in contour from the axis barrel to the 110 barrel, no luck. If they are the same I'm glad I haven't run out and bought one yet. I have been reading through the axis page a little but haven't come across changing to a take off barrel, yet.

My group consists of first shot, second shot up and to the right, third shot further up and further to the right.

I believe that it is a free floating barrel but haven't confirmed that.

I have dabbled in hand loading but haven't gotten around to developing a load for it yet.

The barrel that I was thinking of replacing the original with was either a criterion or a shilen in either a sporter or a magnum 25"

olddav
02-10-2017, 01:17 AM
My brother has an Axis in 30-06 and it shoots Federal PowerShok 150 grain bullets pretty well, (1.25"). Are you resting the rifle at the end of the forearm or nearer the barrel nut when you shoot? Putting preasure on the end of the forearm could flex the stock thus making contact with the barrel and causing your shots to string. I could also be wrong on that point, but preasure on the barrel should change the harmonics as opposed to a free floated barrel. It's late and I'm tired so I'm not sure if any of this makes sense.

Zero333
02-10-2017, 05:23 PM
If the barrel you're looking at getting is a Shilen or Criterion then you will not be disappointed.

Like already stated, Axis factory barrels are the same as ones for the 10/110 actions. So selling your Axis and getting a 110/111 rifle is the more expensive route to good accuracy.

If I was you, I would go with a Criterion or Shilen pre-fit.

Do a search for Axis trigger tuning and don't bother spending more $ on the trigger unless you have a hard time tuning the Axis trigger to your liking.

Besides a pre-fit barrel, you'll need a barrel vice, barrel nut wrench and go/no-go gauges.

You can save a few $ by not getting a no-go gauge, just a go-gauge is good and by taping a layer of masking tape on it's head it turns into a no-go gauge ;)

I don't use a barrel vice. I took a several inch long 2x4, made a 1" hole in the middle, then split the 2x4 lengthwise down the middle so you get 2 halves with a half circle on each one, then I use that around the action (right at the end by the recoil lug) and clamp it all together in a big vice. Hasn't failed me yet.