PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Stock for Sendero profile barrel

Sponxx
02-06-2017, 04:03 PM
I bought an aftermarket 243 barrel, Sendero profile.
I had modified the factory tupperware stock, with some bedding in the forearm, but I don't like the balance and profile.
Looking into Boyd's stocks, it appears that the only stock options for 110 series TBR, blind stagger feed and thicker barrels (BULL per selection drop boxes) is the thumbholes and the Pro Varmint. How much Drop at comb does the ProVarmint have?

Does anyone know if the factory contour barrel will accomodate a Sendero profile? Don't mind sandpapering a bit, but by looks I prefer the Prarie hunter stock to the Thumbholes and ProVarmint one. Also would like to use this in the field, so lighter weight is a plus.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 04:50 PM
I not exactly sure of the profile of the Sendero contour... I am familiar with Varmint and Bull contours though.... The Pro Varmint will accommodate up to a bull barrel (but will require you to open it up) as the Factory barrel channel is for a sporter barrel.

I have the Prairie hunter also, but it will only accommodate up to a light varmint or Heavy Sporter barrel unless you are willing to give up the flats on the side of the barrel channel.

The Pro Varmint is by far my favorite of the two stocks. There is no drop on the comb on the Pro Varmint. It's very level all the way down the cheek piece. The prairie hunter has much more drop to it then the Pro Varmint.

Both stocks weigh in at about 2.8 pounds.

Sponxx
02-06-2017, 05:18 PM
SageRat Shooter - The Rem Sender for a Savage has the standard Savage 1.058" shank dimension for 4" then tapers to 0.830" at the muzzle. As I read your post, is the comb on the Prairie hunter much lower than the Pro Varmint? What do you mean by giving up the flats on the side? going all the way out?
The Savage Varmint profile is 0.81" at the muzzle, per my notes, so it may be a tight fit on the barrel channel for a Prairie Hunter.
Thanks for the info on weight.

SageRat Shooter
02-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Sponxx,

I feel the Prairie hunter has a Much more drastic "slope" from the butt towards the front of the comb. The Sendro Contour sounds almost identical to my Criterion Varmint contour (.828 at muzzle) so, I'm pretty confident that it would fit in the Pro Varmint nicely, as that is what my stock is.

The Prairie hunter will be a little too tight (in my opinion). In regards to the "Flats"... the barrel channel has little flats or pieces of the stock that run down the length of the barrel channel (forms the side of the barrel channel). When you use a dowel and sand paper to open the channel to accommodate the larger barrels. You can sand too far, and effectively wind up removing the little pieces of wood, that run down the side of the channel. So, it looks like your barrel is just laying on a flat piece of wood where the barrel channel should be.

I hope that makes sense, It's hard to paint a picture just using words...

SageRat Shooter
02-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Sponxx,

Regarding the Prairie Hunter again. My Prairie hunter is on my 22-250 with a heavy sporter barrel (.700 at muzzle). Which is the same profile as a Light Varmint. In my opinion the .700 is just about as big as I'd want to go for the barrel channel. I still have the flats on the side of the barrel channel, and I could open it about another 1/8" total. or 1/16" from each side of the barrel channel. Any more than that, and the flats are gone, or they are so thin that you may crack it.

Sponxx
02-07-2017, 12:54 PM
SageRat,
Thanks so much for the explanation, and checking on measurements, the flats was exactly what I was thinking. For my plans for this gun a ProVarmint probably does make a lot more sense.

SageRat Shooter
02-07-2017, 02:04 PM
For my plans for this gun a ProVarmint probably does make a lot more sense.

It's a good choice.... I wish I could have gone with the Pro Varmint instead of the Prairie hunter, but they didn't have it available for my lefty Axis.