PDA

View Full Version : short vs long actions

bdmhntr58
02-06-2017, 01:19 AM
I am a little confused. exactly what's the difference and or advantages in long actions or short.. My hunting buddy picked up a model 114 in 308 I have the model 16 in 308 as well . If the action size was determined by the size of the cartridge why is the 308 in both actions? what advantage or drawbacks are there?

foxx
02-06-2017, 01:29 AM
Long actions can normally be modified to allow short cartridges (.308, .223, .204, 22-250, .260). Sometimes no modification is even necessary.

Short actions will only accept short cartridges (not 30-06 or .270, for example) because the bolt will not open enough to allow the longer cartridges to feed up from the magazine.

Some shooters prefer long actions for the .260 so as to allow longer bullets or cartridges longer than standard overall cartridge length.

Originally, all Savage bolt actions were long actions.

Axis actions are all long action, only the magazine and stocks are different to allow for short or long action mags.

The advantage of long or short is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Check FAQ's more more and better info

bdmhntr58
02-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Alrighty then... Thanks

bsekf
02-06-2017, 11:45 AM
I use all long actions, good to go with anything from 223 to 300 Win Mag. Stocks will interchange too.

flangster
02-06-2017, 12:36 PM
I am totally making this up, but I could see how a short action would be marginally stiffer. The Savage target action is a short action with only a loading port cut out of it -- it is single-shot so no mag cutout in the bottom. It is pretty robust for a factory action. Dunno whether this resonates with you all. Just throwing this against the wall to see if it sticks . . .

RC20
02-06-2017, 05:08 PM
It may be and still may not enough to see in shooting. Still a good thought.

I went that way with stocks and mounts. Solid bottom stock, should be stiffer. Rail should stiffen things up

May not make the least real difference.

bdmhntr58
02-06-2017, 09:53 PM
I guess I don't look at things the way most of you do. I don't have any desire to take apart any rifle and remake it into something else. if I want or need another gun I just figure I will buy another.. maybe later on the bug will bite me to build my own stuff , but for now feel much safer with a factory rifle.. I am just really new to all this and it seemed strange that you could have the same cartridge but in different configurations. and if like someone mentioned that on a long action most anything is possible then why would they even make a short action..doesn't make sense?? lots to learn.. thanks for the lesson guys..

foxx
02-06-2017, 09:59 PM
^^^Short actions have quicker/shorter "bolt throw/travel". Just quicker, lest movement. No big deal, really.

If "going factory" in 10/110 series, you won't have an option. Traditional short action cartridges will come on short actions.

RC20
02-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Call it the never ending attempt at optimization.

Short action is lighter (not much) lower cost (again not much but 100,000 adds up) quicker bot throw (for whatever that is worth).

Now we have very light 30-06, I carried a M77(?) Ruger with a 24 inch barrel when I was hunting.

Now they are 20 inch and pencil thin.

While its not for all, my take is:

You then have to get a special gun to get a heavy barrel.

In my case, I wanted a 30-06 Heavy Barrel and no one makes one. Remington might make it for $1500 or so.
Eventually I found Cabella carries a Varmint Contour 30-06 but its very long throat and specifically to the VLD bullets only.

I have shot one, I really don't care for the Remington and the first thing it needs is a decent trigger, factory is junk. .

I just made my own, Bull barrel, have maybe $650 into it.

I can make my own at a lower cost and have fun for much less than a $1000 or so Savage Target.

And I can have my play chassis that I can paly with different barrel on.

I like wood stocks and either got one with the 110 30-06 as part of a package or buy one and get rid of the cheap one.

Under $150 for the stocks (not counting the one I did not pay for)

I guess I don't look at things the way most of you do. I don't have any desire to take apart any rifle and remake it into something else. if I want or need another gun I just figure I will buy another.. maybe later on the bug will bite me to build my own stuff , but for now feel much safer with a factory rifle.. I am just really new to all this and it seemed strange that you could have the same cartridge but in different configurations. and if like someone mentioned that on a long action most anything is possible then why would they even make a short action..doesn't make sense?? lots to learn.. thanks for the lesson guys..

squirrel_slayer
02-08-2017, 03:49 PM
to add to RC20 you get a fractionally shorter overall package with a short action (the barrel starts further back as the action is shorter) again were splitting hair's here.

I'm hoping someone makes a stock/chassis like the AI chassis's that accept the long mags then they have a mag adapter that goes in to accept the short action mags. you could have everything from a 17 Remington to a 338 edge (or one of those nasty 50 cal wildcats scope eye has lol) in one package. I started with a short action but starting on a long action build now with this goal in mind. even want to try a new style barrel nut that would allow it's self to be changed in the field without having to remove anything. have an idea just need to put it from a theory to a experiment.

SageRat Shooter
02-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Not saying anyone is wrong about the Axis bolt length, but my axis bolt is about an inch shorter than my 111 bolt. My Axis is 3 or 4 years old now, so maybe that's the difference. I've got both, so just wanted to mention it.

300WM
02-08-2017, 11:24 PM
Gary Eliseo makes a chassis like you are looking for Squirrel Slayer... Not sure if for the savage actions though.

rosewood
02-10-2017, 07:39 AM
The idea behind the "short magnum" craze was of a shorter, quicker bolt throw, supposedly. I never bought into it, but a lot of folks did. Now they are sitting holding a gun where the ammo is difficult to find or ridiculously priced. If you reload, it is as big of a deal other than finding brass.

Rosewood

yobuck
02-10-2017, 10:14 AM
The idea behind the "short magnum" craze was of a shorter, quicker bolt throw, supposedly. I never bought into it, but a lot of folks did. Now they are sitting holding a gun where the ammo is difficult to find or ridiculously priced. If you reload, it is as big of a deal other than finding brass.

Rosewood

I guess the ones they appealed to bought them, and others of us didn't. In total fairness, I personaly think short action guns have more curb appeal.
And the shorter powder collum tends to be more accurate. 1000 yd b/r shooters have pretty much switched over to the short mag cases.
L/R hunters on the other hand are usually looking for ways to increase capacity, so they never really caught on much there.
Ive never left the action length stop me from having the cartridge I wanted for hunting. We always single feed the guns anyway so mag length isn't an issue. We sometimes have to pull the bolt and feed and extract from the end of the action. Ive also opened up the rear of the port on 40x actions to allow extraction of the empty on the longer mag. cases. The bolt stop is usually either removed completely, or a different type installed.

s3silver
02-11-2017, 01:38 AM
We sometimes have to pull the bolt and feed and extract from the end of the action. Ive also opened up the rear of the port on 40x actions to allow extraction of the empty on the longer mag. cases. The bolt stop is usually either removed completely, or a different type installed.

What do you do when you need a quick follow up shot?

FW Conch
02-11-2017, 07:58 AM
^ Personally, I don't miss the first shot because I'm thinking about a quick follow up second shot. One shot, one hit. I don't go to all the trouble I do in reloading, rifle assembly, practice, and all the other OCD, to miss. A second shot with a single shot can come quick enough. But I haven't needed one since I was too young to know better.

I to favor short actions in all My chamberings. In My book, magazines and repeaters are for "lead slingers".

JMO ;-))

Allen in MT
02-12-2017, 09:13 PM
I have a Savage long action that sports a McGowen barrel in a 6BR will this barrel switch out and fit a Savage short action? thanks

foxx
02-12-2017, 09:18 PM
^^^Yes, but if you look at the 6BR cartridge you will see how short it is. The long action will be quite (and UNNECESSARILY) long. It won't hurt anything, but the cartridges might not feed well from the long magazine box. If it were mine, I would sell it and buy a new short action to build off of. (assuming, of course, my wife says I can't keep both)

NEVERMIND I misread the question above.

flangster
02-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Depends on the shank width and pitch of the barrel threads. This is independent of action length. Have a look at the stickies for the measurements, or call Savage about your action. Customer Service can tell you if you read them the serial number. The barrel you'll have to measure yourself.

m12lrs
02-12-2017, 09:47 PM
I have a Savage long action that sports a McGowen barrel in a 6BR will this barrel switch out and fit a Savage short action? thanks

Small shank or.large shank? Both long and short actions have both barrel shanks. If you are.going to swap the barrel make sure.your short action has the same shank size as the McGowen.