PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: What Torque Setting On BTVS Action Screws?

yanici
08-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I finally broke down and ordered a Utica TS-30 Torque Screwdriver. Now I need some input on the correct settings to torque the two action screws to. I've heard advice from 15 to 25 inch pounds. I'm leaning toward the 15 being correct. Anybody out there know for sure?

TOP PREDATOR
08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
i've read in similar forums that 15lbs is suggested by savage.

Josh Smith
08-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Hello,

I was using 25in-lbs. I found it was best to tighten the front one first.

I pillar bedded and it now likes 55in-lbs. Those bolts will NOT take that much on a regular basis - the heads strip out quite easily. I replaced them with bolts after retapping the holes for something more common.

Josh

rpavich
08-28-2010, 08:16 AM
I had a question with this issue also so I called Savage directly.

They told me all rimfire is 15 in/lb.

King Ghidora
09-04-2010, 07:25 PM
If you go above 15 in/lbs you run the risk of crushing the wood in the BT stocks. There's not much wood there and nothing behind the wood in the front either. I pillar bedded my front pillar to allow me to go with a higher torque setting. I still only go about 18 in/lbs. Anything higher will bend the bottom metal and risks damaging the wood. This is the worst failing of the MkII rifles IMO. But it can be overcome. You can check out how I did the pillar bedding on my stock on this web page (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335233).