PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Steven model 37 .410 shotgun?

pdog06
08-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I got a line on what sounds like a pretty clean and nice Stevens model 37 shotgun(single-shot, bolt action, .410). It's also pretty cheap, but dont know if theres anything I should know about them.

I am curious what these are worth in very good condition, and are they even worth having? Any help is appreciated. I know they arent a collectors gun or anything, but if they were junk I wont waste my time and money.

To be honest I dont really need it(sound familiar :D), but I thought it may be a good gun to use to take my kids small gaming. I wouldnt have much in it, it only hold one shell at a time, and if they drop it and break it I aint out much. (I have an old 870 wingmaster 20ga that my Grandfather gave me that was his dads main rabbit gun(and was the gun my Grandfather used when him and I went squirrel hunting years ago), and I wanted to use it with my kids, but my Grandfather passed away yesterday morning and I dont think I can use that gun for a while).

TIA for the info.

Eric in NC
08-18-2010, 05:09 PM
There are several similar ones (and I can't remember which is which - 37, 39, 51 etc.) - is that one of the ones with a bolt mounted cocking piece? Does it have a safety? If I remember right, some of them have external cocking pieces and no real safety (like many of the old single shot 22s - hold the cocking piece, pull the trigger and let it down gently if you don't want to shoot right away).

Keep that in mind when you check it out (if you want it as a kids gun). Also, some of them I have seen don't eject well - don't know if that is just years of gunk that could be cleaned out or a common part failure. Numrich does have a lot of parts for them though.

If it is in great shape, I would say $75 or so would be a fair price, I would try for $50 though.

I would look for a break open internal hammer Stevens (with tang safety) in 16 or 20 gauge though if I was setting out to buy a kids first shotgun. You have the mechanical safety and you can have them break it open to make sure it is absolutely safe etc.

I always thought it was a little unfair to kids to have them start out with a 410 - you really have to have a solid hit to anchor a tree-rat or big rabbit with one. 20's (and even 12's with light loads) don't kick that much harder and show better performance for non-expert shots (my two cents).

pdog06
08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
thanks for the great info Eric.

$75 is what he is wanting for it. It seems to be in really good shape so it should be worth it, but I dont like the idea of the bolt mounted safety, and this model has that after re-looking at the pics of it.

I will just wait on something else. It just looked like an easy and light gun to handle.

thanks again,

mike

Eric in NC
08-18-2010, 06:57 PM
They are easy and light guns to handle. I (and many, many other kids) learned on those types of "dangerous" guns (external hammer single shot shotguns with no safety, Winchester single shot 22's with the external cocking piece, etc.) and did fine (don't cock until you are ready to shoot, if you decide not to, point in a safe direction and hold the hammer/cocking piece carefully etc.).

I do remember (with GREAT clarity) a very cold day when I was about 13 and hunting with a friend - he got up to his stand then chambered a round in his 94 Winchester and went to ease the hammer down --- BANG! No one was hurt thankfully but a frozen/numb thumb called for more attention than he was giving. Lesson engraved in stone in my mind!

pdog06
08-18-2010, 11:25 PM
never had that happen with my model 94 when I was young, but can easily see how it would happen.. And sure it has happened a bunch of times.

The guy has already sold this gun today so I'll wait for something else to come along. Just one of those spur of the moment things ::) :D