PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 or Savage 11,12,14????????

drlinn3
02-05-2017, 01:00 PM
I'm new into long range shooting and I'm looking for a new build. I want the caliber to be in 6.5 Creedmoor but I don't know which model to get. Do any of you guys have any suggestions????​

260Savage
02-05-2017, 01:11 PM
I'm wondering the same

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

olddav
02-05-2017, 01:46 PM
10,11,14 are all the same, the 12 is different as it has a ejection port cut in the side. The 16 is a SS Ver of the 10. Savage does sell a "target" action with bolt and trigger. Just raw info, don't know if this is usefull but here ya go.

flangster
02-05-2017, 02:02 PM
I'm new into long range shooting and I'm looking for a new build. I want the caliber to be in 6.5 Creedmoor but I don't know which model to get. Do any of you guys have any suggestions????​ I only shoot at 100 yards . . . that's all there is at my range. So take this with a grain of salt. I think you should be asking the folks in the discipline you are interested in to help you pick a rifle. All the Savages I have shot have run from reasonably to exceptionally accurate, so the question really is: how are you going to use the rifle? I would start by considering what kind of stock you need. Are you going to be prone and shooting off a bipod? That will dictate one set of decisions. No bipod, but shooting off a bench with bags? That is probably a different stock, which will allow a straight recoil and better muzzle control. Are you going to hump this rifle all over creation or unpack your truck at your range and shooting from nearby in a static position? That will dictate another set of choices. A heavy barrel rifle will heat up more slowly and let you sustain a higher rate of accurate fire, but will be a pain to carry with all your other gear. Are you the kind of guy who likes to shoot a stock rifle, or will you be upgrading over time (new custom barrel, new stock etc.)? If the former, maybe a Savage 10 FCP in a McMillan stock would be something to look at. If the latter, just bite the bullet and get the rifle you want now. It will be cheaper in the long run (ask me how I know). I have a Savage 10 in .308 and a 12 F/TR in .223. Neither is a woods rifle, but I could carry the 10 if I had to. The 12 is HEAVY and is great off the bench, but the barrel is so thick that it weighs around 13 lbs without a scope. Also the 12 F/TR is single shot, which may or may not appeal. Like I say, I am not a long range expert, but based on what I have seen at 100 yards, I would stay away from the sporter profile barrels. They heat quickly (by the fourth shot or so) and accuracy falls off as soon as the barrel is hotter than bath water.

drlinn3
02-05-2017, 04:38 PM
I only shoot at 100 yards . . . that's all there is at my range. So take this with a grain of salt. I think you should be asking the folks in the discipline you are interested in to help you pick a rifle. All the Savages I have shot have run from reasonably to exceptionally accurate, so the question really is: how are you going to use the rifle? I would start by considering what kind of stock you need. Are you going to be prone and shooting off a bipod? That will dictate one set of decisions. No bipod, but shooting off a bench with bags? That is probably a different stock, which will allow a straight recoil and better muzzle control. Are you going to hump this rifle all over creation or unpack your truck at your range and shooting from nearby in a static position? That will dictate another set of choices. A heavy barrel rifle will heat up more slowly and let you sustain a higher rate of accurate fire, but will be a pain to carry with all your other gear. Are you the kind of guy who likes to shoot a stock rifle, or will you be upgrading over time (new custom barrel, new stock etc.)? If the former, maybe a Savage 10 FCP in a McMillan stock would be something to look at. If the latter, just bite the bullet and get the rifle you want now. It will be cheaper in the long run (ask me how I know). I have a Savage 10 in .308 and a 12 F/TR in .223. Neither is a woods rifle, but I could carry the 10 if I had to. The 12 is HEAVY and is great off the bench, but the barrel is so thick that it weighs around 13 lbs without a scope. Also the 12 F/TR is single shot, which may or may not appeal. Like I say, I am not a long range expert, but based on what I have seen at 100 yards, I would stay away from the sporter profile barrels. They heat quickly (by the fourth shot or so) and accuracy falls off as soon as the barrel is hotter than bath water.

Thank you this will be a bench gun most of the time. i plan to upgrade the stock. and put sme kind of bottom metal. i was looking at one with a 24'' barrel

hereinaz
02-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Start with one of the varmint rifles from Dicks or Cabelas, they are a heavy barrel and are inexpensive "starter" rifles, if budget is a big deal. Upgrade to a Boyds laminate stock and you will have a nice shooting gun.

Really, if you are only shooting from the bench, then get as heavy a barrel as you want.

If you are carrying it any distance or length of time, then a sporter/light varmint is what you want.

If you are somewhere wet, and don't want to worry about rust, then look at the 16, cause it is in stainless.

The model numbers really dont make any difference in the action, except those specifically made for target shooting. The actions that are non-stainless pretty much are the same until a 10, 11, 12, or 14 are stamped in them the 16 is exactly the same except the steel...

hereinaz
02-05-2017, 05:41 PM
This comes close to what you are talking about.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/619144704

hereinaz
02-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Or this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616805379

hereinaz
02-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Or buy the awesome .260 in the classifieds, already built and a truly spectacular gun at an awesome price...

flangster
02-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Just one other thing. I know you said 6.5 Creedmore, so you could either buy a Savage 10 like the ones linked to above and shoot it for a while. I don't own a rifle chambered in that caliber, but the ballistics on the Creedmore are great. I would suggest seeing whether you can get your hands on one of these to actually try. Otherwise, it is like buying a suit or a pair of boots online. It may fit you well, or it may be something that causes you more struggle than fun. The right length of pull, the right cheek rest and correct eye placement are going to make a lot of difference. You wouldn't buy an $800 suit or a $600 pair of boots without trying them on, right?

WeldNFool
02-05-2017, 10:59 PM
I picked up a Savage 10 FCP-SR at my local gun store for right at $700 out the door as a donor. Higher than some? Lower? I don't know. For me the people and how I'm treated is worth a little extra. The pimple faced kid behind the counter collecting a paycheck at the sporting goods store or the Holemart that most likely doesn't know a thing about anything you ask without looking at a book. You could probably pick up one of the cheaper models for less though. The FCP-SR is a "tactical" setup so that in itself costs more. A simple varmint rifle for example to salvage the action would be a start.

Out of the box at 100 yards it was good. Running regular store bought 165, 150 and 180 grain bullets. The barrel is 24" long and heavy with fluting to lighten it up. 10 round magazine, Accustock and trigger. The trigger was set at the high end, believe 4 pounds. It felt quite good actually. I own an SKS and that trigger feels like your dragging a pallet of concrete blocks across a gravel parking lot so I might not be the best judge as just about anything would be an improvement. However, I have sent many rounds down range using a Barrett 98b with a trigger that is as smooth as silk. I have to say, the Accutrigger is right up there. I turned mine down to the lowest, 2lbs I think(?) and it is great.

As far as the difference between, 10,11,12.....etc., I couldn't tell you. If you're wanting to build a custom long range shooter and you're looking to snag up an action to build off of I suppose they all will do the job.

Mine is only a Savage 10 when it comes to the receiver and the firing pin mechanism and trigger group. Everything else has been replaced. Bolt, bolt face, extractor, barrel, new stock was ordered some time ago and will eventually arrive.

cs700
02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Took delivery of my Savage Model 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor last Friday. I bought this rifle as a knock around steel banger. Cleaned & scope mounted then headed to range. After sighting in scope at 100 yards I tried some factory Winchester 140gr ammo. After 1st shot I readjusted scope then fired 4 more rounds. More proof to me it's hard to beat a Savage rifle right out of the box for accuracy.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll25/csmith700/IMG_0090_zpspekt4kuc.jpg

(http://s284.photobucket.com/user/csmith700/media/IMG_0090_zpspekt4kuc.jpg.html)http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll25/csmith700/IMG_0092_zpse1l3riyg.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/csmith700/media/IMG_0092_zpse1l3riyg.jpg.html)

flangster
02-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Wow. That's some nice shooting.