PDA

View Full Version : heavier stock

brazos river
02-04-2017, 08:33 PM
I have been wanting to get a new stock for my .308 win. It now has the accustock the groups are fine but that is from the bench. What I find is the rifle is light and when shooting from a field position the light rifle is difficult to keep steady. My thinking is that if it were a bit heavier it would be easier to keep steady. I have searched the internet for stocks and not sure what to go for so I am asking for some experience in this thank you b.r.

RC20
02-04-2017, 09:12 PM
A full sized wood stock would help the weigh some, but reality is that there is not all that much difference in stocks, a full fitting stock like the Manlicher (us Military full length stocks also have significant more weight but non existent for civie guns) .

A US full wood stock can beef you up and is heavier.

If you really want to get more weigh though, its a Varmint Contour barrel that will do it.

Try Boyds, a Heavy Wood Target stock would be the maxim. You could drill the back though that's a bit dicey and put steel rods in it.

Synthetic you can put weights in the back.

SageRat Shooter
02-05-2017, 02:48 AM
As RC20 said, check out Boyds. Their laminate stocks usually weigh in at about 3 lbs. give or take a few ounces. They are both much heavier and sturdier then the accustock, (especially if you haven't filled in the hollow butt stock with weight of some kind).

If you're going to use it as a carry hunter I would suggest some stippling on it, as the stocks can get a little slippery when they get wet. I have a prairie hunter and Pro Varmint both. The Pro Varmint being my favorite of the two.

kimberkook
02-05-2017, 09:25 AM
As RC20 said, check out Boyds. Their laminate stocks usually weigh in at about 3 lbs. give or take a few ounces. They are both much heavier and sturdier then the accustock, (especially if you haven't filled in the hollow butt stock with weight of some kind).

If you're going to use it as a carry hunter I would suggest some stippling on it, as the stocks can get a little slippery when they get wet. I have a prairie hunter and Pro Varmint both. The Pro Varmint being my favorite of the two.
Good advice here from RC20. I do my shooting from the bench and I know what you mean about the advantages of a little more weight. I just got a nice "Classic" laminated from Boyds for one of my old 110 sporters and it is heavier than I expected. I didn't get it stippled/checkered but as RC20 said, it's very smooth and it would be easier to carry with that inexpensive upgrade. If you do want to stay with a synthetic, the Bell and Carlson Medalist models are great for sporters, but they are light. Only reason I mention them is that they have wider forearms than the factory models and that helps for bench shooting.

saleen322
02-26-2017, 05:33 PM
This is my old 110 Savage 308 with a Richards stock. I get a lot of nice comments and it is a tack driver and weather does not bother it. YMMV

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/saleen322/308%20Winchester/Savage110.jpg