PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 Project: Stock Question

Tilghman
02-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a Stevens 200 that I converted to a .280 Rem. using an ER Shaw medium weight 24" barrel. Going into to this project I knew I would be changing stocks. Given this rifle will be used for Whitetail hunting, I wished to use a new factory wood stock which I purchased from Numrich. The stock has an anti-vibration tab built into the front of the forend that the barrel rests on. Although the action fits nicely in the stock, the barrel leans against the last four inches of the end of the stock on the right side. There is sufficient clearance on the left side. I can move the barrel away from the stock by hand. Is that an indication there may be some sloppiness in the action bolt holes?

What, if anything, I can do to center the barrel in the stock?

Thanks,
Tilghman

J.Baker
02-02-2017, 11:44 AM
I've found that the factory stocks typically have a little wiggle room in them. If you don't want to glass bed it, the best thing to do is to loosen the action screws, set the butt of the rifle on the floor with the muzzle straight up, hold the barrel centered and tighten the screws.

Tilghman
02-02-2017, 03:26 PM
I had intended to glass bed it. I'll try your suggestion.

Many thanks.

Tilghman

darkker
02-02-2017, 07:15 PM
I wished to use a new factory wood stock which I purchased from Numrich. The stock has an anti-vibration tab built into the front of the forend that the barrel rests on. Although the action fits nicely in the stock, the barrel leans against the last four inches of the end of the stock on the right side. There is sufficient clearance on the left side. I can move the barrel away from the stock by hand. Is that an indication there may be some sloppiness in the action bolt holes?
Sounds like a typical cheap wood stock. Unless you use pilars, that is always a hazzard. The wood can be compressed, and flex.

squirrel_slayer
02-06-2017, 12:56 AM
if your going to bed it you could removed material from the opposite side of the recoil lug shelf till it's centered then bed away.

short round
02-06-2017, 04:19 AM
Check the tang for clearance between it and the stock. If the tang is touching the stock on the right side, the barrel will point to the right. A bit of sanding will help.

Tilghman
02-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'll try some of the suggestions.

Tilghman

Tilghman
02-14-2017, 09:14 AM
After carefully looking at how the action was sitting in the stock I determined it was riding high on the left side at the barrel locking nut. When the action sat in the stock, the rear tang was slightly lifted and tilted. When I pushed down on the tang the action would rock at the barrel locking nut. I carefully began sanding the area and noticed the barrel moving away from the stock. Eventually the action sat even and the barrel was not touching the stock. I checked the center line as well as how the sides of the ejection port sat next to the stock. Everything looked good and the action seems to sit very nicely in the stock . I floated the barrel and glass bedded the stock with Acra-glass.

I hope to get some range time in this weekend.

Thanks,
Tilghman