PDA

View Full Version : Hinged Floor Plate to DBM Conversion

mg3320
02-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Hi. I am brand new to this site. I recently got a great deal on a model 16. The rifle has bottom bolt release, accutrigger and an accustock. That said, I would rather have a detachable box magazine than the hinged floor plate that the rifle came with. I understand from reading some posts that my rifle may be able to be converted. If so, would you let me know what parts I need, wheere I can get them and the general cost. I would like the replacement parts to be stainless to match the rifle. I also want the DBM to fit flush like a normal hunting rifle. I was also wondering if the conversion was easy job that someone with some general gunsmithing knowledge could handle or whether it would require a trip to Savage service center. I would really like to hear from someone that has maybe already done this. I really appreciate your help, and I look forward to your responses.

jpdown
02-01-2017, 08:06 PM
You will need to contact Savage Arms and order a couple of parts. You will need to give them the rifle serial number. You will need to switch out the HFP frame assembly (surround). Tell them you need a SA, DBM frame assembly in SS and a SA magazine bottom cap in SS. Remove the metal magazine box and follower from the HFP assembly by pinching the sides of the box. Then snap the new DBM bottom cap onto the box and follower. Become a paid member and you can list the HFP assembly in the classified section to recover some of the cost of the new parts.

J.Baker
02-02-2017, 04:11 AM
First and foremost, welcome to the site!

For the conversion you will need the DBM bottom metal and the bottom plate for a DBM. You will reuse your existing magazine housing, follower and follower spring from the HFP. Just put the spring and follower into the magazine housing, snap on the bottom plate and you now have a DBM. The DBM bottom metal just bolts in place of your HFP bottom metal as a direct swap.

Parts will have to be ordered from Savage.

This FAQ article has some part numbers and may be of additional use as well.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?325-Choosing-the-Right-DBM-Stock-Bottom-Metal-Parts-Tutorial

mg3320
02-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks fellas