PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on DPMS SASS?

hafejd30
01-31-2017, 03:41 PM
Looking at possibly selling my 308 carbine and getting a SASS. Wondering if anyone has one or knows someone who does and how they like it. Accuracy? Troubles? Etc

Jamie
01-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Not a fan of DPMS in general. Take a look at RRA (MOA guarantee), APF out of Minnesota or even the Savage with 5R. Not really what you asked and most likely not the answer you were looking for but simply put, no way I would spend that kinda money on a DPMS.

Robinhood
01-31-2017, 11:33 PM
The SASS is a shooter but loud. My boys LR-308 will shoot little groups at long range. They will shoot. With that being said the gen ii looks like a more desirable option.

homefrontsniper
02-01-2017, 02:54 AM
If you get a good one.

big honkin jeep
02-13-2017, 11:29 PM
I have one of the original DPMS LR .308s from after they were first introduced. Over the years it has been an excellent rifle.
I dont care what anyone on the internet says, When I own a rifle that functions flawlessly and shoots bullet holes in bullet holes it's a keeper.
SR25 pattern rifles seem to have set the standard for .308 ARs and there is plenty of aftermarket available. I would not have a second thought about buying another DPMS. For all the bluster of the Anti DPMS crowd online, I just kind of figure from my experiences with this one that they are like Savage haters with little to no merit or experience to back their arguments.
Mine is stupid accurate. A fella came up to me at the range and says "nice ammo waster" , A little later after firing a full 20 round p mag and coring out the bullseye in an under 1" group I turned to him and said "It's not wasting ammo if they all go dead center"...... Crickets....
Granted mines not the SASS version but the one with the 24" stainless fluted and threaded heavy barrel. after purchase added a Chip McCormick trigger which I like a lot, and a JP enterprises "recoil eliminator" brake to replace the flash hider that came on it. Looks kinda funky but it works. It's topped with a Vortex 6.5-20 in Burris rings.
The only thing I dont like is that my rifle is pretty specific to it's role. It is very heavy and bulky with lots of protrusions and things to snag if you're trying to use it in the woods or in a hunting role. It also has a very tall profile from the top of the scope turret to the bottom of the mag or grip. A good bit of this is due to there being no drop on the comb of the stock making the use of very tall mountss necessary. This makes using it out the window of a typical box blind an exercise in frustration. As far as a hunting rifle well I'll just say there are much better task specific platforms than an AR like a "hunting rifle"
As far as a range toy for the bench or a shooting mat, and an accurate dependable .308 delivery system, Kudos to DPMS, It's a hoot to shoot. The SASS isn't that much different and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/ARAK/139621d4-d528-493e-b8f3-703fca76e50e_zps4ebca707.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/ARAK/139621d4-d528-493e-b8f3-703fca76e50e_zps4ebca707.jpg.html)

hafejd30
02-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Thank you for the opinions everyone. After lots of research I have purchased a RRA. Very solid well built rifle. Havnt shot it yet tho. The threading on the muzzle does not have a recess on bottom of the threads near the barrel shoulder so my TBAC doesn't bottom out on the shoulder of barrel. Brought to my gunsmith yesterday and he's Gona Check it out for me. Big honkin jeep, the RRA I bought is almost identical to what you have. Only a 20" CM bull barrel