PDA

View Full Version : Remington ammo reliability

ttexastom
01-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Got a box of remington green box 280 on markdown, in using this for 280 ai case forming. Had 3 out of 20 to snap, primers fully indented, no problems with firing pin. Is this common with ammo of today.
This is the first ammo that i have bought in probably 30 years. What's wrong with their quality control? Think this was the problem that got me started to handloading, back in 80's, after i thought about it.
anyone else have this experience ?

Zero333
01-30-2017, 11:53 PM
was it very cold outside ???

The ammo could of been on markdown because it might of been kept in a not climate controlled environment, causing the primers and powder to absorb moisture (hence why military cartridges are sealed).

The moisture content and cold weather would of added to some of them not wanting to fire.

Never had any FTF's with factory ammo if the rifle was working 100%. Only FTF I've had was with a badly maintained SKS and Barnaul ammo, and a weak firing pin spring on a bolt gun failed to strike the primer hard enough.

You say the firing pin strikes look normal, so I assume the rifle's firing pin spring is good. This leaves the ammo to be questionable and maybe why it was on sale, but I don't know how you can verify such a thing.

I've bought lots of factory ammo that was on huge discount and haven't had any problems.

ttexastom
01-31-2017, 12:40 AM
Actually it was 77 degrees f on the day in question. We have only had about 3 days where it was below 40 degrees this year. Ammo came from big box dept. Store. Some of the primers were nickle plated, while others were brass colored. Never seen remi nmgton ammo with different color primers.

JW
01-31-2017, 07:26 AM
I looked at a friends 223 rem ammo that he was having issues with
factory 77gr smk
some of the roughest looking ammo I have seen--dents and very rough neck trimming
nickel and brass primers in the box of 20
I figured they were made during the time components were scarce
I suggested he contact remington
I doubt they will do anything

Jack

RC20
02-01-2017, 04:23 PM
What you have is a marginal firing pin action.

Depending who makes the brass and how much headspace there is in the case, it moves more or less.

When the firing pin hits, the brass moves forward absorbing the firing pin impact.

At the end the dent is the same size (or looks good) , but a Primer pops on impact and any movement can stop that.

There are two solutions. Measure the firing pin protrusion. It needs to be X amount out to be consistent.

If it X amount out or more, then the chamber is too sloppy. That can be accommodated by a firing pin adjustment.

Or check the head space and the barrel can be turned in if its too much.

Don't blame the ammo. I go through thousands of Primers a year including from Remington and never a failure.

Someplace I have an article on the narrow range of firing pin function (no fire, fire to primer pieced) You look at that and its amazing any of it works right its so narrow.

ttexastom
02-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice

ttexastom
02-02-2017, 11:28 AM
Have fired 110 rounds since my last post, no misfires. Still think it is factory ammo. Since 1984, my log shows this gun has been shot probably in excess of 4000 rounds. Took misfired ammo and put one piece of tape on it, bolt would not close. Don't think it is headspace problem. This gun is on it's 3rd barrel. Firing pin and spring replaced in 2014.

thatguyshm
02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
I highly doubt Remington will do anything about it if you tell them you are using an AI. I would withhold that info if you do call them. Different primers is a no go for factory ammo. I have only purchased factory shot shell and 9mm ammo when I get a new 9mm, but if they can't control the primers, who's to say powder charges are even similar..

Shm

ttexastom
02-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Very good point. Will not contact remington. Hope this can be seen from non reloading community. Would not have bought this ammo, but the brass was cheap enough.