PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected results

65Whelen
01-30-2017, 07:31 PM
Has anyone had this result after changing barrels, I put an after market barrel on my 12VLP and the POI changed 20moa? Some details, I removed a 22-250 factory barrel and installed an new X-Caliber 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time and it shot approximately 20" higher than the 22-250 shot at 100yrs. I expected to make some adjustments but 20moa seem extreme to me. The Creedmoor is suppose to be good long range but really?

It grouped OK, several 3-shot groups tad over an MOA. Weather was 23 degrees and 15mph crosswinds, so this was just shake down shoot make sure everything is as it should be. Wasn't really shooting for groups.

Bigguy
01-30-2017, 08:45 PM
It wouldn't surprise me that the Savage barrel was hitting low. However the better question is how much elevation above and below your current sight in does your scope have?

jim_k
01-30-2017, 10:00 PM
One of the barrels is slightly bent. 20 MOA is not extreme under those circumstances. I have a slightly bent Savage barrel, and it shoots lights out, so I am keeping it. The bent one is the one in which the bore is not pointed where the bullet impacts at 50-100 yds. In other words, one of them most likely cannot be bore-sighted with the naked eye, by looking down the bore. The straight one is the one that CAN be bore-sighted by centering the target in the bore visually, and point of impact matching up with that.

Robinhood
01-31-2017, 12:06 AM
Did you hone the face of the action with a fine stone to remove the high spots? Some actions are OK some have some serious proud metal.

Texas10
01-31-2017, 01:40 AM
Any chance you took off a 0 moa rail and replaced it with a 20 moa rail? I have both and almost made that mistake just last week putting together a 6mmBR.

Another possibility...how many foot pounds did you torque the new barrel to? Did you use a new nut and recoil lug such as the precision ground ones, or was it the originals?

I removed the barrel from my 22-250 for a re-crown, and found the action face was worn in an irregular pattern. Dropped that off at the GS for truing and ordered new recoil lug and nut from NSS. BTW, both the 250 and 6mm are X-caliber barrels from Rosco.

65Whelen
01-31-2017, 07:58 AM
I did nothing to the receiver. Torqued the nut to 40 pounds. Reused the factory recoil lug and nut. Also, used the same 20 Moe base, I only have one. Did not try to bore sight it.

Thanks guys, this gives me a few things to go through.

jonbearman
02-28-2017, 07:01 PM
I have a factory heavy barrel off a PTA receiver and on mine it sighted in easy. I sold it and the new owner claimed it shot almost 3 feet high at 100 yards. I do not know why this occurred but on my receiver it is fine. So this thread is interesting to me and would like to see how to rectify this. The only thing I suspect is his receiver face was plain crooked but mine is nice and flat.

RC20
02-28-2017, 08:57 PM
I haven't worked with the 20 MOA rails, could it be turned around or need to be for shorter distance shooting?

Other factors of course then come into play but........

And if you put the Savage barrel back on does it show 20 " someplace else ? (ie. not lined up the way it was form the factory)

snowgetter1
02-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Yes I have experienced several POI changes like that when swapping barrels. If it shoots shoot it.