PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Alignment

Skimmed
01-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Hi Folks,

Been running a Bushnell scope on my 12 BVSS for 5 years. Put a Nightforce Benchrest 12-42 on it and have to max out both elevation and windage adjustments to get it on paper. Called NF and they don't believe it's possible for the scope to be that far out.

I have swapped out rings and bases so have eliminated them as issues.

Anyone else have any ideas? It has been proposed that the barrel/action may be misaligned.

Cheers,

Zero333
01-30-2017, 04:37 PM
Barrel was not indexed at the factory mainly due to the barrel nut headpacing process. Also the scope base holes are not parallel with the bore, but this would only affect windage.

The barrel was not straightened good enough causing the indexing issue.

You can either send it back to Savage and they'll fix it, or you can get yourself the Burris Zee rings. The Zee rings have inserts that can be used to offset the direction of the scope, meaning you can get withing a few moa of zero with out even touching the scopes turrets.

They also make them in Tactical 6-cap Zee rings. Another advantage of the Zee rings is that they squeeze the scope tube very uniformly and don't leave any marks on the tube.

Robinhood
01-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Great argument for cutting the barrel threads and action face to the centerline of the action after verifying the centerline of the base mount holes

olddav
01-30-2017, 10:16 PM
So the Bushnell scope worked fine, and the Nightforce does not? Sure sounds like the Nightforce is the problem. Can you try the scope on another rifle or try another scope on your rifle?

Zero333
02-02-2017, 12:16 AM
So the Bushnell scope worked fine, and the Nightforce does not? Sure sounds like the Nightforce is the problem. Can you try the scope on another rifle or try another scope on your rifle?

The NF 12-42 BR scope doesn't have much adjustment. His Bushnell probably had twice as much adjustment range allowing him to get on target.

Either the barrel was not straightened good enough at the Savage factory or the NF BR scope indeed has a problem.

Nor Cal Mikie
02-02-2017, 11:08 AM
I would be more inclined to think the action scope mounting holes are off a bit rather than the scope. Had the same type of issues with a couple of mine. Went with two piece mounts to get a good windage adjustment and a little shim job to get elevation adjustment. After all, it IS a Savage. And you wouldn't be the first person to have that problem with a Savage rifle.

NicfromAlabama
02-02-2017, 07:59 PM
My Axis shot VERY low and left when I bought it. So, I have experienced the same thing. I used the Burris Signature Zee rings too correct it, which was a bit of a pain, because I had to use the highest inserts on the rings. I should have sent it back to Savage. It was a learning experience, and I won't hesitate to call them next time if I have another issue that they should fix. I really have no idea what was wrong. I did troubleshoot with different scopes and rings, but I had the same results.

RC20
02-02-2017, 08:06 PM

That's my take as well.