PDA

View Full Version : Why do the Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile cost so little?

Pages : 1 [2]

King Ghidora
08-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Not all Model 12's have the Target action, only those listed under "Target Rifle Series" on the Savage website have the target actions. The Model 12 Varmint Series has the regular action the same as the 10's, 11's, 14's and 16's.

According to the Savage catalog (http://www.savagearms.com/various/documents/2010_savage_catalog.pdf), "The 12 LRPV is available in a standard repeater configuration and in two different single-shot configurations: right-bolt, left-port and left-load, right-eject dual port (see page 7). These single shots also come with the Target AccuTrigger, which is adjustable all the way down to an astounding 6 oz." So the single shot LRPV's do have the Target AccuTrigger.

The reason I said all Model 12's have the target trigger is because of this article (http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-dual-port-model-12-lrpv-review-1.php) which says, "All Model 12s come with Savage’s Target AccuTrigger, which is user-adjustable down to 6 ounces." Apparently that is bad information.

But it isn't just the Target series that gets the Target AccuTrigger. The single shot LRPV's have the Target trigger also according to the catalog. I know they have it because I have a single shot, left eject LRPV and it certainly goes down to below 1 lb.. It's the red blade trigger which clearly indicates it is the Target model. When I first got this rifle someone had apparently done something to the trigger to make it even lighter because I adjusted it up and now I can't get it as light as it was at first. That's really not a bad thing since it was really too light at first. As soon as I touched the trigger it fired and that's just too low. Now I can lay my finger on the trigger and decide when to shoot it.

I've actually seen other articles that claim all the Model 12's have the Target trigger too. But as often happens people get the story wrong.

As for comparing the 10 series to the 12 series I thought I made it clear that it depended on what you think makes for a better rifle. I said the 12 was considered better because it had the heavier parts but that it isn't the best rifle for many purposes. I said that in my first post. I wouldn't want to lug my LRPV around to hunt with. My 110 is a far better gun for that purpose. In fact for most purposes the 12 LRPV isn't suitable. Other than varmint shooting and target shooting it really isn't that useful. I bought it for target shooting mostly. I already had a hunting rifle in the 110. Still it's hard not to say the LRPV is a superior rifle when I can shoot quarter size groups at 300 yards with it and I haven't really practiced with it much yet.

Snowwolfe
08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Rifles came in and they have the standard accutrigger. But the same vendor on gunbrokers has the 22-250's for the same price if anyone is interested.

Dennis
08-31-2010, 04:40 AM
My VLP 243 is one accurate gun!!!!!!

SavyShooter
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
"The centerfire AccuTrigger has a minimum trigger pull of approximately 2.5 to 3.25 pounds on sporter barrels, 1.5 to 2.25 pounds on varmint and heavy barrels. Selected Target Models may be equipped with an 8 to 10 ounce trigger. The rimfire firearms are now available with an AccuTrigger that is adjustable down to approximately 2.5 pounds."

Harley059
10-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I bought a BVLP in .204 Ruger about six months ago for lest than 5C but couldn't get it on paper at 50 yards. Sent it back to the factory and they put a new barrel on it and got it back to me in less than 4 weeks (to late for my trip to SD) but now I can shoot 3 shots in .261. I still consider it a good deal. The only thing I don't like about it is you need to load the rounds in the magazine before it will feed into the barrel. Another thing... it would jam the bullet when it started up the ramp from the magazine... hollow points were about 100% jam. I had to polish the feed ramp to mirror finish to fix the problem but now there is no problem.

King Ghidora
10-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Selected Target Models may be equipped with an 8 to 10 ounce trigger

Actually the triggers go down to 6 oz. and they are sold on some varmint models specifically the single shot varmint models in the LRPV line. I have one and it definitely has the target trigger. Don't think you're missing out by not having the target trigger though. They won't adjust down to lower than about 12 oz. without the sear block kicking in every time you work the bolt. I haven't actually tested mine to see how low it will go but it won't go as low as they claim without having problems. Still it absolutely has the red target trigger setup.

Also the rimfire rifles have had the 2.5 lb. triggers for years now. It isn't a new thing. I have one of those also.

I will say the LRPV is the best shooting rifle I've ever picked up. I would like to upgrade to a better trigger though. The SSS triggers are supposed to be super.

2guard
10-13-2010, 05:08 PM
these rifles do seem to go cheap on GB. I picked up a rh 204 vlp for 500, and there are a few others listed (in other calibers)for around that price.

dangaff
10-14-2010, 07:31 AM
$1,400 odd in Australia

Tnslim
10-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd love to find a .223 LH at those prices.

2guard
10-14-2010, 03:08 PM
here you go:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=194701599

savage 12 223 lefty

and if anyone is looking for a right handed model (even cheaper at 449)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=195136810

ba_50
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
What is the name of the company you got the LH model from? It is no longer listed. Thanks.