PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph

WeldNFool
01-27-2017, 10:55 PM
I've run around 200 rounds thru my stock barrel on the 10fcp-sr and grew tired of waiting on the stock. It'll be here at one point so not a major issue. Opted to mount the Shilen and break it in. I already had some brass from ammo I have bought. Reloaded it with N550 and STMK using various powder loads. Then it hit me. I might need a chronograph. No need in shooting these hand loads and basing everything off of group sizes in my opinion. Did the same thing with the 338 where hand loading is a must, especially for the wallet.

So, recommendations on chronographs? Good, bad and the ugly? Pro's/Con's, experiences. I've been eyeballing a few and have read tons of reviews on el cheapo's to dynamo's. The optical chronographs sound sketchy and I'm as likely to just wander down to the range on a day where it's raining as I am on a day when there isn't a cloud in the sky. Our range benches are under a steel roof and there is a drop off that is around 2-3 feet in front of the benches. I believe this was done so they would have the elevation to see the 500 yard targets. So the canopy chronographs concern me for two simple reasons. Height adjustment to compensate for the elevation change and reason number two, stability at this height. I've also read that most will buy an aftermarket camera tripod as they are of a higher quality, more stable. $200 chronograph and a good tripod($200?) and I'm pushing the Labradar range or the sonic one, can't recall the name of that one.

Price, well, concerned about price but after a few errors or if I'm at the range trying to shoot and I'm spending more time adjusting the optical chronograph than adjusting my rifle position or scope and the chrony will be the next target with the Lapua if it doesn't get beat off the concrete, lol! So convenience, not having to call a "Cold Firing" line because my junk ain't working or having to do that sort of b.s. IS a factor.

Any opinions, experience, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for any info.

rjtfroggy
01-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Magneto speed, takes all of 2-3 minutes to set up and no stoppage of firing line.
Your POI may or may not shift a little but the amount is minimal, reads as accurate as any chrono out there, and it doesn't matter what the weather is sunny, cloudy it doesn't make a difference it still works.

yobuck
01-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Magneto speed, takes all of 2-3 minutes to set up and no stoppage of firing line.
Your POI may or may not shift a little but the amount is minimal, reads as accurate as any chrono out there, and it doesn't matter what the weather is sunny, cloudy it doesn't make a difference it still works.

That right there is all the advice you need, just go buy one.

WeldNFool
01-28-2017, 10:14 AM
How will it hold up to the muzzle brake on a 338 Lapua Magnum? 10 feet to the left or right behind the shooter and you get plowed over by the shock wave. Darn rifle knocks the Leupold front scope cover off after shooting. I looked at the Magneto speed but this was one thing I was worried about and didn't want to spend the money to get the answer, lol!

rjtfroggy
01-28-2017, 11:56 AM
I can't honestly answer that, never tried it and have no desire to do so, but if you ask on other sites I am sure you will get the answer.

WeldNFool
01-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the help froggy. Doing price comparisons now, need to find out if I need that additional $150 piece for the V3 or not for the brake. Think I'm down to two choices at least.

Phranque
01-28-2017, 02:41 PM
How will it hold up to the muzzle brake on a 338 Lapua Magnum? 10 feet to the left or right behind the shooter and you get plowed over by the shock wave. Darn rifle knocks the Leupold front scope cover off after shooting. I looked at the Magneto speed but this was one thing I was worried about and didn't want to spend the money to get the answer, lol!

Since brakes blow side-to-side, and the Magneto hangs under & forward, you should be just fine.

Or, a bit pricier option is the LabRadar. Bought myself one for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. Nothing to shoot through, nothing hanging off the barrel that may alter POI, needs to be properly aligned, or wires hanging off the bore... just set it up & shoot. Plus it gives downrange info, not just MV, to calculate/verify B/C's. I have an old optical chrony, have used a Magneto, and this is like going from a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari. Yeah, it's expensive compared to a Magneto, and it's a cringe-worthy moment hitting that "Buy" button. But, now that I've used it, if (God forbid) I broke it I'd have no hesitation getting another one.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/phranquey/Bench%20a_zpsep3nioru.jpg

bearcatrp
01-28-2017, 05:58 PM
+1 on Labradar. I got #4 when they went on sale to everyone. Love it. Worth every penny!

WeldNFool
01-28-2017, 08:09 PM
I have been looking seriously at the Labradar. As I wander thru the quagmire of chronographs I keep coming up with reasons why the Labradar would be better. I suppose when your saying to yourself, Magneto Speed $400, maybe have to add $150 and same price as Labradar. Even without the additional $150 I find myself saying, $150 more for the Labradar.

Maybe I'm in some sort of denial in my mind while deeper in my conscience has already made the decision, lol!

Phranque, I like how you have that set up. That was another concern with the Labradar on our benches, it's going to be right in line with the blast of my brake. Is the Labradar in line with the end of the barrel in that picture? Looks like it is. I'm assuming the distance you have to set is the offset behind the end of the barrel? That's a great inexpensive idea. What's the speed square for??

Phranque
01-28-2017, 09:38 PM
I have been looking seriously at the Labradar. As I wander thru the quagmire of chronographs I keep coming up with reasons why the Labradar would be better. I suppose when your saying to yourself, Magneto Speed $400, maybe have to add $150 and same price as Labradar. Even without the additional $150 I find myself saying, $150 more for the Labradar.

Maybe I'm in some sort of denial in my mind while deeper in my conscience has already made the decision, lol!

Phranque, I like how you have that set up. That was another concern with the Labradar on our benches, it's going to be right in line with the blast of my brake. Is the Labradar in line with the end of the barrel in that picture? Looks like it is. I'm assuming the distance you have to set is the offset behind the end of the barrel? That's a great inexpensive idea. What's the speed square for??

To put it simply, it you're even considering it, just do it. You may have a little buyer's remorse while it's on it's way, but I guarantee once you have it in your hands & shoot with it, that will all wash away... especially if you've ever messed with a standard chrony.

That set-up just kinda hit me out of the blue... I didn't want to put it on a tripod out in front of the bench, as that defeats some of the purpose, especially at a public range. Worked out really good... it's just a 4' piece of 12" wide shelf board. Sit down on the bench with the rifle and get situated with where your going to shoot, then move the radar around to the appropriate position along side the rifle and simply clamp the board to the table.

As far as positioning it... there are different offsets in the menu as to how far away you are from the unit (off to the side, in 6" increments). The closer, the more accurate. As far as positioning the muzzle, if you're suppressed, you want to be about 6" behind, regular muzzle directly along-side, and with a brake you want to have the muzzle 6-8" in front of the unit so side blast isn't directly hitting it.

The speed square was a little trick I picked up off of a youtube review... with the unit only being about 2" thick, it's a bit difficult to accurately aim it properly with just the little v-notch cut into the top. Take the flat back of the square & place it on the front of the unit (triangle pointing outward) & bring it up to where it lines up with the notch, and it now gives a longer sight picture for aiming... kinda like rifle sight compared to a pistol sight.

One other thing of note... you'll see a small orange pack on the shelf board right behind the radar. That would be an external USB battery pack. It will run off of 6 AA's, but according to reviews, it will chew the heck out of them. Picked up that battery on Amazon for something like $23, and after 5 hours of use, it was only 1/3 down.

Hope I made a convert out of you.... :eyebrows:

Phranque
01-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Another thing... it has some internal memory, but I recommend an SD card. I picked up an 8G for $5.99, shot 10 strings (15 shots ea) and it could literally hold hundreds (if not thousands) of strings onto that size card. Simply remove the card & plug into the computer to get to the data. And, if you like data, this thing is a wet dream!

RC20
01-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Something to keep in mind.

Once you establish a bullet speed with a powder combination, its going to be close with any other close powder.

Given the caveat of you are up in the max range then you will see that sudden break over and want to monitor.

Ergo, I have stuck with the Chrony with the remote display. I just break it out when I move to a new powder range and want the data.

They are a pain to setup for sure. Also you will probably shoot one if you haven't already (mine has a good ding in it, wounded, not fatal)