PDA

View Full Version : Sent my Stealth back to savage.....

milky7272
01-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Sent my stealth in .308 back to savage. It wouldn't shoot a group to save its life. I have bought a ruger precision since and really had not thought about it. I called savage today and said hey any word on my rifle. They said yes they where replacing the barrel and it was in fluting now. I ask what was wrong with it and she really didn't know. Do they usually let you know why it was replaced? What in the barrel could have been causing such wide groups?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

foxx
01-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Maybe bent. Maybe chamber not bored perfectly concentric to bore. Maybe anything.

milky7272
01-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Probably so. As long as it shoots I don't guess it matters

Hawaiian
01-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Sent my stealth in .308 back to savage. It wouldn't shoot a group to save its life. I have bought a ruger precision since and really had not thought about it. I called savage today and said hey any word on my rifle. They said yes they where replacing the barrel and it was in fluting now. I ask what was wrong with it and she really didn't know. Do they usually let you know why it was replaced? What in the barrel could have been causing such wide groups?

How long has it been since you shipped it back?

milky7272
01-26-2017, 11:31 PM
First week December

milky7272
01-26-2017, 11:32 PM

foxx
01-26-2017, 11:59 PM
ummm...

sorry.

s3silver
01-27-2017, 01:15 AM
Wow, it's almost 2 months since you sent it in. Does it usually take this long for Savage service turnaround?

milky7272
01-27-2017, 09:59 AM
I think Christmas had a lot to do with it. They where shut down for the holidays.

WeldNFool
01-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Makes me think back 20 plus years ago before a hunting trip. Me with my 30-06, Grandpa's bored/converted(?) Mauser snuck back from Germany and a friend of mine with his recent Mauser purchase from a pawn shop. Me, tagging targets with steel sights from 100 yards. Him, groaning, complaining, "this piece of s___!!".

"What's wrong?" I ask

"Piece of junk won't hit the broad side of a barn".

"Really? Let me see it". Chamber a round, Bang!! Bullseye.

Me, "Seems to shoot pretty good".

Him, "F......." well, you get it.

Good Ol' Marine Corps training. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I ragged him the whole weekend in the mountains, don't miss any deer or bear today!!

I'm not saying the OP is a bad shot, it just made me think of that memory long ago. Like to hear what they found wrong with it though. Had to share that story, still makes me laugh.

Benmuncie
01-28-2017, 11:03 PM
I just got my 12 FV back two weeks ago. It was a 1 1/2 month turn around, but they shut down over Christmas and New Years. I know why my barrel was bad because I saw the problem inside the barrel before I sent it back. The only thing they said when they called me before shipping it back was that was that my barrel was bad. But my new barrel came back with a 5 shot test group from the Savage range at 1/2 moa. I've had it out twice and it shoots great now. I'm very happy.

milky7272
01-28-2017, 11:06 PM
I'm definitely not a great shot but I can shoot a 1/2moa (yeah I know a whole other thread) with my savage 6.5 lrp. We will see when I gets back.

CBryars2
01-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Had my Stealth 22" replaced with a non-fluted 24". 4 weeks door to door, shoots great (roughly 1/2"). This was late summer.