PDA

View Full Version : 110 long action build to 223 feeding issues

originaljk
01-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I took a 110 Long action and put a 223 barrel on it. Installed the short action bolt head with the part from shooter supply to keep the firing pin depth correct. installed a 223 blind mag blocked forward in the stock. When it feeds the feed ramp from the 110 action is large the bullet will not guide into the chamber. Most of the time the bullet slops around in the feed ramp and the point of the bullet hits the back of the barrel face not chamber ingredients.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

thanksPl

trentcwwilson
01-26-2017, 09:41 PM
I took a 110 Long action and put a 223 barrel on it. Installed the short action bolt head with the part from shooter supply to keep the firing pin depth correct. installed a 223 blind mag blocked forward in the stock. When it feeds the feed ramp from the 110 action the bullet will not slide into the chamber. Most of the time the bullet slops around in the feed ramp and the point of the bullet hits the back of the barrel face not chamber ingredients.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

thanks
(Joke) Try building on the correct action?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

darkker
01-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Sounds more like a follower and mag lip issue.

olddav
01-26-2017, 11:00 PM
I had a rifle w/blind mag that had the same problem, it turned out the be the feed lips at the rear. They were spread too wide at the rear.

trentcwwilson
01-26-2017, 11:01 PM
I have a question. Why would you build a long action for a short action caliber? OAL?

geargrinder
01-26-2017, 11:43 PM
What magazine did you use? Stagger or Centerfeed?

I've done this with a centerfeed magazine and it works just fine. The tricky part was making a floor plate for the magazine and getting the whole thing to sit at the right elevation, with the feed lips almost touching the bottom of the bolt.

bsekf
01-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Trent., All my Savage actions are LA. I can build anything I want and the stocks interchange. KISS Often with the "short" cartridges you cannot seat the bullet far enough out to kiss the rifling, especially with heavy bullets.

Bill

trentcwwilson
01-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Trent., All my Savage actions are LA. I can build anything I want and the stocks interchange. KISS Often with the "short" cartridges you cannot seat the bullet far enough out to kiss the rifling, especially with heavy bullets.

Bill
Learn something new every day

originaljk
01-28-2017, 02:53 PM
I am using a 223 short action mag centerfeed. The 110 action was also a centerfeed.
I hope someone has a fix for me.

QUOTE=trentcwwilson;396016]Learn something new every day

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

originaljk
02-08-2017, 12:55 PM
I will try to play with the floor plate and maybe the angle of the front of the internal box centerfold mag to get the mag to line up the cartridge and the chamber. Thanks gear grinder. I had to go back and read your post againew, it just clicked what you were saying. thanks

sharpshooter
02-08-2017, 04:13 PM
The best way to correct the problem is to cut a feed cone on the breech similar to an AR-15.