PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Improving B-Mag Accuracy

MountainMan
01-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Just purchased a blued heavy barrel B-Mag in 17 WSM. Out of the box accuracy at 100 yards was marginal at best - only 1 1/2" to 2" 5-shot groups. I noticed a very flimsy stock at fore-end. Installed three o-rings between barrel and stock about 2" from end and tightened securely with zip tie.
This greatly improved the accuracy. The rifle is now shooting .375" - .687" groups consistently at 100 yards using 25 grain Winchester HE Varmint factory cartridges. I hope this helps others.

Lonewulf
01-25-2017, 09:45 AM
a Boyds stock will help more :)

MountainMan
01-25-2017, 04:50 PM
For those on a tight budget - rather than spending $129.00 plus shipping for a Boyds stock you may want to first try the O-rings and zip tie which costs less than $5 total.

talltimber
01-30-2017, 05:45 PM
I like it. What size o rings?

Will baling wire work instead of zip ties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainMan
02-07-2017, 01:16 PM
If you have a heavy barrel model the O-rings are approx. .125" O-ring diameter with a .625 inside diameter to tightly slide over the barrel approx. 2-3" in from the fore-end of the stock. If you have a plain barrel B-Mag the O-rings will be smaller in diameter. The main thing is to buy the O-rings at your local hardware store that are tight enough to slip over your barrel and fill in the space between the stock to help center and support the barrel. I guess bailing wire could work but be careful not to tighten it too much. You only want to tighten it enough to snug the barrel down to center and support it. Give it a try. It worked for me. I also found that 25 grain Winchester Varmint HE (Hi Energy) shot the most accurately verses any other 20 grain loads (American or Hornady V-Max.).