PDA

View Full Version : 116 action and MDT chassis

Pages : [1] 2

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm looking at building a tactical rifle like Handi's post below mine, but my post is inquiring about barrels, chassis, and whatnot. I've decided to go with an TAC21 chassis from MDT, and I know my barrel can be the same diameter as the action. I prefer stainless, so the 116 action is perfect. Now, where can I find said action in an -06 bolt face? I don't want to spend $800 on a rifle in which the only thing that will be reused is the action and trigger. Next question, what barrel should I use? I've already added up the work, before glass, and it comes to roughly $2500, that includes putting a brake on the barrel and truing/mating barrel and action. They usually use Shilen for the 260 Dingo, but I know there are better companies out there. So it's narrowed down to this....
1. Can the stripped actions be found?
2. What .264 barrel should I use, provided it's stainless?
3. Their load utilizes a 95 grain Hornady V-Max, but I will be discussing load data for the heavier bullets. What twist should I get that'll work best for both?
4. I can't find action specs anywhere for the 116. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can figure out how large of a taper I can use on the barrel?

olddav
01-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Your questions regarding the action can be found in the FAQ section on the banner at the top of this page. You could find a action used either here (you would need to be a paid member) or a complete gun at a gun/pawn shop.

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Your questions regarding the action can be found in the FAQ section on the banner at the top of this page. You could find a action used either here (you would need to be a paid member) or a complete gun at a gun/pawn shop.
I'd prefer a new action rather than one that's used. If it's gonna be abused, I'm gonna make sure I'm the only one that's abused it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

olddav
01-24-2017, 08:24 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think Savage sell the 116 actions separately. If that's true your only option is a new rifle.

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 08:27 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think Savage sell the 116 actions separately. If that's true your only option is a new rifle.
I'm kinda new to the numbers and whatnot. I know being 3 numbers is a long action, and 16 would be the stainless, correct? Do they have another stainless long action I'm not aware of?

Robinhood
01-24-2017, 08:28 PM
If you have to have a new action with a .473 bolthead here is a benchmark of what it will cost you.

Buds Savage 116
(https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78616/Savage+116+TH+XP+25-06+NIKON)

Now if you decide to purchase one of those pounded to the ground lightly used rifles of the same specifications you might save yourself 70-100 dollars.

olddav
01-24-2017, 08:31 PM
I'm kinda new to the numbers and whatnot. I know being 3 numbers is a long action, and 16 would be the stainless, correct? Do they have another stainless long action I'm not aware of?

The 116 is the stainless version of the 110, and the 16 is the stainless version of the 10.

Robinhood
01-24-2017, 08:33 PM
There was/are some model 112's that are stainless but that would ad much more to the cost of the rifle.

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 08:43 PM
There was/are some model 112's that are stainless but that would ad much more to the cost of the rifle.
Well, I'm looking 650 for the chassis, 300 for the stock and pistol grip, 790 if I have to buy a complete rifle, 800 for the machining of threads and a SPT muzzle brake (maybe a bit more for a heavy profile barrel) and Lord knows what I'm gonna have in glass...

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Oh, another question. Since bolt actions and accuracy have never been my cup of tea, I don't know what length barrel to get either.

Robinhood
01-24-2017, 10:08 PM
What 6.5mm cartridge are you going to use? I am guessing a swede a 6.5 saum or 6.5 06.

Im going to suggest that since you are new to the game look for a built rifle. You stated it wasn't your cup of tea so why invest 3000 in a rig you don't even know if you will like. With a pre built rifle you are not paying for all of the parts at MSRP plus shipping. You can fine tune as you go and change the barrel when you are ready.

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 10:20 PM
What 6.5mm cartridge are you going to use? I am guessing a swede a 6.5 saum or 6.5 06.

Im going to suggest that since you are new to the game look for a built rifle. You stated it wasn't your cup of tea so why invest 3000 in a rig you don't even know if you will like. With a pre built rifle you are not paying for all of the parts at MSRP plus shipping. You can fine tune as you go and change the barrel when you are ready.
It's a modified 6.5-06. No case taper, neck angle of 42°, 95 grain V-Max over a 59gr charge of Reloder 22. We've clocked them at over 4k, but they were too inconsistent with the jackets shredding, so we've got them down to an average of 3975. Absolutely hammers everything we've hunted with it. Deer, hog, coyote....nothing has taken a step. And if more than 1 company had a reamer for this caliber, I'd buy a complete rifle. That's not how it works. You can but the rifle from SPT for 1600, but that's a blued lightweight taper and a free floated barrel. I'm not a fan of standard stocks, and I want to get into the chassis idea. I like the way the rifles look, and it'll look good. Granted, the rifle has no recoil with the SPT brake, but a little weight never hurt anyone, right?

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 10:20 PM
And I have to add, I've got many suppliers. I haven't paid MSRP for anything in my life.

hafejd30
01-24-2017, 10:49 PM
I know Jim at Northland Shooters Supply said he could get me the 16 actions. Said they came from savage in a pack with the bottom metal/trigger gaurd etc. This was at least 6 months ago and I don't know if he had 116 actions as well. I want to say the price was about $600 tho. Which was a little high for me.

For $800 (or whatever price a dealer has) you could get the gun, which I'm assuming has stainless DBM. You could sell the Accustock/DBM/Barrel in classifieds and come in below that I would think.

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 10:50 PM
I didn't think about selling the barrel and stock. That would cut a big chunk off the price...

hafejd30
01-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Look in the sold section of classifieds and see what similar items like this are going for. Should give you an idea of what there worth. I think you can access them as a non paid member. I know you can't respond unless paid member but those are for reference and generally locked anyway.

You would have to be a paid member to sell there tho. It's only $15 a year if I remember correctly. Unless you buy stuff like most of us lol then your membership only costs you about $5,000 a year haha

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 10:57 PM
Look in the sold section of classifieds and see what similar items like this are going for. Should give you an idea of what there worth. I think you can access them as a non paid member. I know you can't respond unless paid member but those are for reference and generally locked anyway.

You would have to be a paid member to sell there tho. It's only $15 a year if I remember correctly. Unless you buy stuff like most of us lol then your membership only costs you about $5,000 a year haha
Oh, don't I know. If the wife sells my guns for what I've told her they were worth, my kids inheritance is screwed...

trentcwwilson
01-24-2017, 11:53 PM
Ok, so that's #1 out of the way, and I can find the action OD when I get the rifle. What about barrel maker, length, and twist rate?

hafejd30
01-25-2017, 07:25 AM
I run 26" CBI with 1/8" twist for my 260. Running 142 smk.

trentcwwilson
01-25-2017, 11:01 AM
I run 26" CBI with 1/8" twist for my 260. Running 142 smk.
Will the 1:8 still handle the 95 grain V-Max? I'm afraid that too fast of a twist will shred them.