PDA

View Full Version : Load workup bullet advice needed

Pages : 1 [2]

tcoz
02-10-2017, 03:44 PM
As the OP, here's what little I've had the time to determine so far.
I nixed the use of the heavy bullets so my unscientific trial consisted of shooting a box of five shot groups with Federal GMM SMK 168s, Hornady Match loaded with A-Max 155s and 168s and Hornady Match BTHP 155s and 168s.
I'm not the greatest shooter in the world but I felt pretty good on that day and with my PA FFP 4-14x44 cranked up I think I shot just about as well as I'm capable of. The 155s gave me consistent 1.5 to 2" groups and the 168s gave me consistent sub 1 to 1.5" groups with negligible difference between them.
I decided for the time being at least to go with the Hornady BTHP Match 168s being the least expensive of the three.

I now have 80 Hornady cases that I'll load with 41.5, 42.0, 42.5, 43.0 and 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 using the same ogive to base OAL used in the commercial ammo as a starting point. Using the OCW method I'll determine the load that I like best then I'll fine tune the OAL using a couple of .005" increment changes.

For my very limjted purposes I'm pretty satisfied that this method will give me a load I can be happy with.

s3silver
02-17-2017, 01:36 AM
I shoot a lot of 308 and always start my load .5 under mid range load to .5 over mid range seat at 0.018 -0.022 off the lands and save some $$$ and use Sierra 150gr. match kings, CCI lr primer and you will be good to go.
Also never change more than one thing at a time because you will not know what worked.
I don't bother with ladder groups or OCW I start with 3 shot groups at different loads and go from there, but when done always verify with 5 or 10 shot groups.

This is similar to what I do also. Usually start mid weight and work up. You may not call it OCW, but in a way that's what you're doing. Shooting groups in .x increments until you find a nice group then repeat to confirm. Most of the time col doesn't have to be messed with unless you really want to fine tune.

OP - pick a bullet you like, load some up and shoot them. Unless your rifle is really picky you should not have to change bullet types at 300 yards. For that range the 150's will work fine and have slightly less recoil too.

Texas10
02-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately, the range where I shoot doesn't allow chronographs but I went out today and was very happy with both Hornady 168gr A-MAX and 168gr BTHP Match. I'll work up loads with both bullets and go from there. I use 4064 in my M1 Garand loads so I have quite a bit on hand but you're right, I've never had trouble finding it.

Here is a chronograph that your local range might not object to. The Magnetospeed is barrel mounted so you don't ever go in front of the firing line to set it up. Very accurate and easy to use. http://ads.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=magnetospeed+sporter&cm_mmc=ps_bing-_-bing-_-ST_Range_Supplies_Equipment_Alpha_B-_-magnetospeed+sporter