PDA

View Full Version : Accu trigger being a PITA

bearcatrp
01-21-2017, 10:40 AM
I have a 10T 308. Have it set pretty low. Every time I try to take my time squeezing the trigger, the safety kicks in. My 10T 6.5 did the same thing. Now if I squeeze fast, it doesn't do it. But I end up to the right of the bulls eye. So I have to back it off to around 4 lbs (guessing). Would a better trigger eliminate that? I like around a 2-2.5 lb pull.

Cranecamsou
01-21-2017, 11:30 AM
A couple friends had a similar problem shooting my LRP. They were not fully depressing the safety blade before touching the actual trigger causing the lockout. The trigger finger needs to be perpendicular to the trigger and follow a straight path back. May not be your issue, but it's easy to confirm through some dry fire practice.

dfrosch
01-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Yep. Move your finger so that only the middle of the pad(not the joint) touches the trigger/safety blade.

RC20
01-21-2017, 02:07 PM
You might also check stock clearance. I had one (aftermarket) that was not cleaned out behind the trigger and put pressure on it and got erratic results.

bearcatrp
01-22-2017, 03:09 PM
I do know I have a issue with my finger resting on the side a bit before trigger pull. Can increase to around 4 lbs to reduce this issue but want it close to 2.5 or so. Just thought to ask if there was something else that might be done to reduce this issue. Hard to do when using gloves. Guess I'll have to concentrate more on a straight pull. Thanks guys.

olddav
01-22-2017, 08:28 PM
If you don't like the Accutrigger then you should be able to replace it with a Timney or RifleBasix trigger. Cost around $100.00.

foxx
01-22-2017, 09:37 PM
I agree with all of above, but don't underestimate the importance of pressing trigger straight back, regardless of which trigger you use. Consistent accuracy requires it. Having said that, if you have fat and/or stubby fingers, or use gloves, I'd say replace the Accutrigger. Some guys just can't avoid touching the trigger before fully depressing the safety blade.

m12lrs
01-22-2017, 09:51 PM
Slightest bit of side pressure and it goes into safety mode.

Also if you set it as.light as it can go it seem the adjustment screw will back out a bit and safety mode again. Some on this forum locktite the adjustment screw when they have it adjusted just right. I would like to do so but can't figure out how to put locktite in there and adjust it before the locktite sets up. Any sugestions?

foxx
01-22-2017, 10:09 PM
^^^use blue loctite so it can be removed later if necessary. Also, it takes a while to set, so go ahead and try it, play around till it seems to be where you want it and don't worry about time.

NicfromAlabama
01-22-2017, 10:28 PM
The Rifle Basix (SAV-1) trigger on my Axis is set at 14oz.........super crisp, breaks like glass once everything is adjusted. That was as low as I could go safely and also the lowest it is rated. It would fail safety tests if adjusted lower. You say you like a 2-2.5 lb pull. The Rifle Basix trigger will easily do that. I am sure the Timney is good too, but I have no experience with it.

Coincidentally, I have had no problems with the modified Accutrigger on my Model 10 FCP-SR. Not counting the trigger blade spring tension, it is probably set at about 8-9 oz. About 15 oz total including the safety blade tension. I clipped a coil off the safety blade spring and replaced the other with a ball point pen spring.........not that any of that helps your situation.