PDA

View Full Version : stock suggestions

bdmhntr58
01-20-2017, 11:02 PM
I could really use some advise here.... I purchased a model 16 rifle package, and after reading all the bad stuff about the plastic stocks that sometimes come with these I bought a weather warrior acustock to replace the factory one.. I spoke to a rep from the company and was assured that this stock would fit, I just got it and not even close.. the screw holes line up but that is about it the aluminum bar won't let the recoil lug sit down and it looks like its made for a hinged magazine not the detachable box type. there is a lot more material carved out on the underside around the trigger guard area leading into the magazine area.. sorry if I don't explain things right but up till now I haven't done much with firearms..

Did they possibly just make a mistake and send me the wrong stock or is it not possible to put an acustock on this rifle?? or is there some minor things I can do and parts I could purchase to make this work? I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED with this Savage rifle so far I went to their website looked at all their hype about the acutrigger, acustock, barrels and such and right now I feel like a sucker.. didn't get what I thought I was getting ..

what do I do??

olddav
01-20-2017, 11:33 PM
The Accustock uses a different recoil lug than the standard stock. If you look around you should be able to find an example of the two.

jpdown
01-21-2017, 12:24 AM
+1. You will need to switch out the standard recoil lug to the Accustock recoil lug to get your model 16 action to drop-fit into the stock. Savage Arms will only sell the recoil lug to a gunsmith. However, tell them you will sign a liability waiver and they will sell direct to you.

Sleeper99
01-21-2017, 08:47 AM
You could just return the accustock and go a different route. If you change your recoil lug you will have to remove your barrel nut and barrel. Then re-install and set headspace. This is easy enough to do but requires some tools and know how. If you go with another stock option you could save you self some time and money. If you plan on catching the savage bug then just buy the tools. They will run you about $100 or so from NSS. Then you will have to get some headspace gauges. These can be rented, or purchased but will be in addition to the cost of the tools. If your not planning on working on other savages I would just get my money back on the accustock and order a Boyd's or similar. I have a short action Boyd's varmint thumbhole taking up space if you are interested PM me.

bdmhntr58
01-21-2017, 09:44 AM
I have no intention of doing anything but minor modifications to a gun... spent 30 some years with archery equipment and all of those years never had this kind of frustration...I just want a very good hunting rifle and thought that is what I was getting, I was not expecting this bait and switch ( on the original rifle) .. and then to try and get a decent stock only to find out that you have to spend unnecessary time and money to do so.. if I wanted to spend a thousand dollars on a rifle I would have done so from the start. how is it that I can get an acustock for a model 16 that doesn't fit a model 16?? I even spoke specifically to them when I ordered the stock...and was assured that yes it will fit... guess NOT...the only bright spot is that it's not a month before opening day I have some time to figure this out.. I really thank you all for your info it's just an unexpected learning curve..

Sleeper99
01-21-2017, 10:25 AM
I agree that they should have informed you about the different recoil lug. If you are just looking to upgrade your stock again I would suggest Boyd's the make good quality laminate wood stocks that are perfectly adequate for hunting purposes. If you are just intending on hunting within a couple hundred yards it might not be worth the trouble. Your factory rifle will be plenty accurate to put meat in the freezer in it's cheap plastic stock. If you want something a bit nicer you can get a basic Boyd's aftermarket stock for $129 and your rifle should drop right in. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170121/a72ca62fc72fed990c2761dcf739681e.jpg
If you go this route make sure to order the stock with the correct bolt release type/ action size/ magazine type. The ones above are for the model 16 lightweight Hunter/short action/ detachable box magazine. If you have any questions just give them a call and they will direct you through the process. Hope the information helps.

big honkin jeep
01-21-2017, 02:50 PM
You might have read too much internet! I have a couple of 16s and 116s as well as other models based on the 10/110 action in factory synthetic stocks which are identical to the except for the stainless. They will shoot the lights out with a good load. In my opinion all the talk of "stock flex" is a bunch of hooey. The only one I've ever had an issue with is a model 110FP in 25-06 with a fairly long 24" heavy barrel. The only complaint I had with that one was that when using a bi pod the forces created by the heavy barrel and the minimum clearances due to the fat barrel may have caused it to touch the stock under recoil. It's the only Savage I have ever replaced the stock on because of the sole reason that it "needed" it.

You can easily solve the accustock fitment problem with a dremel on the existing recoil lug or by replacing it with an accustock recoil lug.
I have a couple of accustocked rifles as well and like them a lot, and to me it's just mainly the way they feel, but the older synthetics function very well for their intended purpose. Yeah I know a man can take his hand and push the stock into the fore end but you can do that with an accustock as well. I haven't got one where the stock flex makes a problem in hunting situations or on targets out to several hundred yards.
My advice would be to find a load your rifle likes just as it came out of the box and shoot it. I think you'll be impressed with the accuracy and dependability.

bdmhntr58
01-21-2017, 03:01 PM
I think maybe you might have a good idea.. I will just set it up and shoot it before I jump into changing stuff all I am really looking for is 250 to maybe 300 yards max.. want to go out west in the next few years..you all have been quite helpful..thanks

bdmhntr58
01-22-2017, 09:16 AM
if I do decide to change stocks which I think is a real possibility.. ( just to eliminate as many equipment variables ) would I be better off trying to modify the accustock or sending it back and getting something else? with a wood stock though wouldn't I need to install metal pillars and bed it in just to get close to what the accustock would be?

olddav
01-22-2017, 09:52 AM
The simplest option (requiring the fewest tools & least modifactions) is to send the Accustock back and purchase another stock. Modifing the Accustock will only weaken it and devalue it if not make it worthless. But that is just my opinion.

Sleeper99
01-22-2017, 10:37 AM
I have been through this journey over the last few years and I have had my model 11 with savage varmint contour barrel in 4 different stock options. My opinions are based off of shooting from a bench with a bipod (this is where there can be a problem with the "cheap" stock contacting the barrel and messing with your harmonics).
I am not a handloader yet so all this information is from factory match grade ammo at 100yrds.

I could dig back and find pictures but that isn't that helpful.
1. "Cheap" stock 1.25 MOA
2. Accustock 1 MOA
3. Boyd's thumbhole 1 MOA
(non pillar bedded)
4. MDT chassis 1 MOA

So this lead me to believe that my Savage rifle with the factory barrel and factory loads is a 1 MOA gun that may have been very slightly hindered by the cheap stock.

The biggest improvement I saw was swapping out the factory barrel for a Shilen match grade barrel. Now this rifle is 0.5 MOA rifle consistently.

So you can add up all the money and time it took me to read and learn and practice my fundamentals.

Was it worth it? For me, absolutely. I have enjoyed every part of it. But, at the end of the day I spent a lot of time/money/effort to take a 1.25 inch gun and turn it into a 0.5 inch gun. The rifle also gained a few lbs. in the process.

In my opinion, a lot of the stock swapping comes down to aesthetics and personal preference. That's why I recommended the Boyd's, I liked the way it looked and felt. Any accuracy gains will probably be minimal, probably insignificant for hunting purposes.

Sorry for the long post. Let us know what you decide.

bdmhntr58
01-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Thank you "sleeper" that was an informative and fact based response. I will either return or sell the acustock. And go from there.. In my haste as a beginner to all of this I probably over thought all this.. Is there anything like bedding that you would suggest doing to the factory stock? You all have been very helpful.. Much appreciated..

RC20
01-22-2017, 12:28 PM
The only reason I didn't keep using the low cost factory stock was I don't like the form factor for target.

I am bench rest shooting off bags and I got and like the Boyd's Thumb hole stock lightweight initially to try and like it.

If I was hunting? I hunted with a Wood stock in the standard form for 25 years. Fine for hunting. I would take the plastic as its far less prone to weather issues (I was lucky I never got into anything long duration but the Caribou in a snow storm was no fun and could not tear down until I got home two days latter.

Laminate is good for that as well but not necessary.

If you want a good looking stock and weather resistance its a good way to go, but the low cost factory is fine for that if all you want is utility.

jpdown
01-22-2017, 01:42 PM
The factory stock that came on the Savage model 16/116 is lighter than the Accustock or affordable aftermarket stocks. Unless you plan to do a lot of shooting off a bipod instead of bags, it will work fine as a utility hunting stock with a few modifications. The stock is already pillar bedded. I use Devcon plastic steel epoxy from the local hardware store to bed the action and recoil lug area filling the first stock well in front of the recoil lug with epoxy. The tang and barrel need to be free-floated from the recoil lug forward. I also degrease the stock with acetone and spray with Krylon webbing paint to add texture so the stock is not slippery when wet. If the stock has a plastic trigger guard there is a weak point under the rear action screw which allows the action to flex under recoil. Replace it with a metal trigger guard.

This should improve accuracy potential with the factory synthetic stock. If you think forearm flex is still an issue, then you can add a strip of bedding/barrel pressure at the forearm tip http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/gunsmithing_0206/. This may or may not improve accuracy potential. So compare accuracy with and without forearm tip pressure.

I purchased a Savage 16 LWH in 7mm08 about a year ago. I did not want to replace the 1.6 lb. factory synthetic stock with a 2.5 lb. aftermarket laminated/wood stock. The simple fixes above worked to improve accuracy potential with the factory synthetic stock. With hand loads, it will shoot less than 1.0" 3-shot groups before the FW contour barrel heats up causes groups to open up.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y333/jpdowns54/PICT0006_zpsdvcm1mct.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/jpdowns54/media/PICT0006_zpsdvcm1mct.jpg.html)

bdmhntr58
01-22-2017, 04:20 PM
So glad I joined this site you all are a wealth of information.. And with actual experience to back it up.. So I will try to send back the acustock or sell it. Thanks everyone for your input..