PDA

View Full Version : Axis Build Questions

scamp62
01-19-2017, 01:35 AM
I have been offered a Axis in .308 at very…very reasonable price (cheep), but I really do not need a deer hunting rifle…BUT ! I do want to build a 6 Creedmoor precision rifle, and I do enjoy building up savage rifles, but the have all been on a Mod 10 and Target action, up until today have never touched an Axis, So to the question….can the Axis fit Mod 10 after market stocks, and barrels ??
As always gentlemen…..Thank You !

Mountain Man
01-19-2017, 01:50 AM
I have been offered a Axis in .308 at very…very reasonable price (cheep), but I really do not need a deer hunting rifle…BUT ! I do want to build a 6 Creedmoor precision rifle, and I do enjoy building up savage rifles, but the have all been on a Mod 10 and Target action, up until today have never touched an Axis, So to the question….can the Axis fit Mod 10 after market stocks, and barrels ??
As always gentlemen…..Thank You !
Some times. From what I've read, the barrels either fit tight or don't fit. Stocks are different.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
01-19-2017, 11:18 AM
I have an axis in 22-250. http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels-2/ I put a Criterion Barrel on mine and she is 2x the shooter she was. I also put a Boyds' Prairie hunter stock on it. Check out NSS for your new 6 Creedmoor barrel and then Boyd's to see what stock you may want to slap on it too. I really like the Pro Varmint stock too.

s3silver
01-20-2017, 07:55 AM
As mentioned above small shank barrels should fit without issue. Stocks won't because the recoil lug is set in the stock, not the normal sandwich between action and nut.

Mountain Man
01-20-2017, 09:03 AM
As mentioned above small shank barrels should fit without issue. Stocks won't because the recoil lug is set in the stock, not the normal sandwich between action and nut.
Do they have standard 10/110 screw spacing? If he swaps a model 10 barrel, I would think he could install a mod 10 lug and simply bed a mod 10 stock to fit. Just thinking out loud, I have a axis 2 in .30-06 that I'm storing for someone that could easily be mine for a cheap price. Thinking 6.5-06 if that's worth doing over sourcing an old mod 110 which would necessitate ffls and transfer fees....

LoneWolf
01-20-2017, 11:27 AM
No they are different than 10/110 screw spacing and would require machining the face of the action to use a standard lug. I built an Axis as my first competitive rifle like 2 years ago. There's a full post on it way back with all the data and parts used. You could also check out MDT as they build a Chassis that is inlet for the Axis receiver.

zr600
01-21-2017, 01:02 AM
Xlr makes a chassis for the axis now too.

DrThunder88
01-21-2017, 01:22 AM
Do they? I don't see anything about it on their website. I've had a hankering for an Axis chassis for a while now, but the only option has been the MDT LSS, which I don't particularly care for. The MDT HS3, sure, but not the LSS.

s3silver
01-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Do they have standard 10/110 screw spacing? If he swaps a model 10 barrel, I would think he could install a mod 10 lug and simply bed a mod 10 stock to fit. Just thinking out loud, I have a axis 2 in .30-06 that I'm storing for someone that could easily be mine for a cheap price. Thinking 6.5-06 if that's worth doing over sourcing an old mod 110 which would necessitate ffls and transfer fees....

There is a recess/ cut out on the bottom of the action, just big enough to fit the lug that is set in the stock. When you mate the action and stock you have to make sure the lug slides into this recess or they will not line up correctly.

If you take your stock off you'll easily see this. I think this lug set up and flimsy stock really hurts the potential of the axis rifle. I believe the stock action and barrel has real potential because when I take my time shooting my axis 308, it is very capable of sub moa groups at 200 yards.

zr600
01-26-2017, 11:21 AM
They do look under the element chassis then look we're you pick what action you have the axis short action is in there.

v3ga3spana26
04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
I am really interested after reading this section. If I am understanding the conversation so far. Replacing the barrel I am familiar with but can I have a longer barrel for my savage axis 6.5 creedmoor? I hate that this rifle did not come with a threaded barrel for a muzzle brake either. Being that this makes it a short action I do see several options in regards to chassis but I would prefer to have another alternative barrel with a compensator if possible. Please tell me some thoughts and feedback. Thanks

V3G@

racer55
04-05-2017, 07:10 PM
I shot my axis/X caliber creedmoor for the first time this weekend and intend to remove the muzzle brake and put a thread protector on it.
The noise is extreme when shooting with the muzzle brake and I don't believe the recoil from that caliber warrant's a brake.

hereinaz
04-05-2017, 07:16 PM
I am really interested after reading this section. If I am understanding the conversation so far. Replacing the barrel I am familiar with but can I have a longer barrel for my savage axis 6.5 creedmoor? I hate that this rifle did not come with a threaded barrel for a muzzle brake either. Being that this makes it a short action I do see several options in regards to chassis but I would prefer to have another alternative barrel with a compensator if possible. Please tell me some thoughts and feedback. Thanks

V3G@
Buy the barrel you want, length, caliber, profile, threaded, brake etc. That is custom.

s3silver
04-12-2017, 09:22 PM
V3G - when you order the new barrel you can have it spec'd any length you want. Any small shank pre-fit will work.