PDA

View Full Version : Building my first Savage

Daryl
01-18-2017, 11:29 PM
So I'm building a Savage model 111 30-06 I acquired about one year ago. I just got done building my second AR and was gonna buy a rem700.. was looking at the collection thinking of what i want to do and where to put my money when BAM.. the Savage jumped out and wanted attention... so here I am wanting to make a long range accurate build and want some real respectable help so i don't waste my money. Please if anyone reading this can give me some advice I'll be so appreciative. Meanwhile I'll be searching this awesome site for some good ideas

homer76
01-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Welcome! This forum has a wealth of knowledge that has helped me considerably. A word of warning however, building and tinkering with Savage rifles is addictive. I now own 3 and in the process of buying a fourth!

Daryl
01-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Haha yea I've built a few guns this is just my next one. Last one was a M&P15. Nice gun but I am sooo intrigued by this Savage

drybean
01-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Welcome aboard

Daryl
01-18-2017, 11:59 PM
Thanks. Let me be more specific. What scope and trigger should I be looking into. Then I can get into bolt carriers, stocks and anything else you all might recommend

foxx
01-19-2017, 12:02 AM
What's a bolt carrier?

ttexastom
01-19-2017, 12:49 AM
Welcome aboard

SageRat Shooter
01-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Daryl,

That model 11/111 has a pretty good trigger in it if it's the accutrigger... As far as a scope goes, it depends on what you're gonna use the rifle for.... Hunting rig should be good with a 3-9 or so.... If you're building a long range tack driver, then I'd say 6-18 or like myself, a 6-24. I don't know what a bolt carrier is.... So maybe someone else can answer that.

Stocks are a plenty, but I only have experience with the Boyd's stocks. Pro Varmint and Prairie Hunter designs. If you are a righty, you may have Bobby Hart LRT stock available to you (through Stockystocks.com)

The rabbit hole can go pretty deep if you aren't careful.... It's an addiction.

Daryl
01-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Bolt carrier is me thinking my AR. I have a simmons 3x9 scope now. I just want long range accuracy. I can't hunt with a rifle in Ohio but venture to KY during gun season once in a while.

SageRat Shooter
01-19-2017, 02:08 PM
If you are looking for long range accuracy, then IMO you would want to go with a higher end optic with adjustable turrets for dialing or doping your scope. Aftermarket barrels are going to be better than a Stock savage barrel (most of the time).

You definitely will want to swap out the cheap plastic POS stock that comes on the 11/111...

Rick_W
01-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Welcome

ragsflh
01-21-2017, 03:57 AM
howdy

Daryl
01-21-2017, 04:20 AM
Thanks all.
Any recommendations on the stock? This black plastic junk isn't going to work

big honkin jeep
01-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Welcome
Darryl, I don't know if you hand load or not, but that's the biggest accuracy improvement someone can make to a modern centerfire rifle period. I'd recommend a starter setup (Lee anniversary kit is a good one to start) and a good manual.
As far as the rifle itself tuning the factory trigger up is always a good start and the factory synthetics are pretty useful as they come but can always be bedded and tinkered with to improve them in a multitude of ways. The scope is gonna depend on your budget, but a good name brand scope and mounts(leupold comes to mind) is always a good move.
Over and over again I see a lot of guys throwing good money after bad changing parts on rifles when a good load was all that was needed from the start.
It seems to be a sport in itself of going to the range with a factory Savage and a box or two full of hand loads, sitting down at a bench beside a tactifool or big talking/big money custom, and shooting one ragged hole. It's even better if the Savage has a rattle can paint job and maybe even bedded with JB Weld.
Of course spend your money as you wish....

Hotolds442
02-10-2017, 10:53 PM
Welcome!