PDA

View Full Version : First barrel swap

65Whelen
01-18-2017, 04:19 PM
My first Savage and first barrel swap. I bought this 12 VLP 22-250 last April with the intent of swapping to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Thanks to all the great info on this Forum and Rosco (a member here) who I bought the X-Caliber barrel from, I got 're done last week. Also, cudos to NSS for the top quality tools needed and their customer service.

Haven't shot it yet, range report to follow, pending weather conditions.

Side note:
I was impressed with this rifle and it's accuracy. I shot 22-250 factory ammo and it shot so so, around an MOA, but with reloads it really shined, .5 MOA all day long and my best 5-shot group was .305. It's the best group I've ever shot which made me hesitant about changing barrels. I hope this Creedmoor doesn't disappoint, we'll see.

drybean
01-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dialing long distance
01-24-2017, 10:44 AM
That's a great looking rifle. I really like the wood stock with the heavy varmint contour stainless barrel and action. That looks really sharp man. Good job.

Can I ask where you got that cheek rest? Complements the laminate wood stock really well.

65Whelen
01-24-2017, 06:12 PM
That's a great looking rifle. I really like the wood stock with the heavy varmint contour stainless barrel and action. That looks really sharp man. Good job.

Can I ask where you got that cheek rest? Complements the laminate wood stock really well.

Lol, thanks, I think it's kinda crude but it works great. I made it with an ace bandage, some strips of foam and a piece of leather glued on.

Got the idea here:
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/make-improvised-rifle-cheek-rest/

savatage
02-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Have you had a chance to get to the range with it yet ? Curious as to how it shoots. If I had to guess, awesome as do all my savages. I have a 22-250 bvss very similar to yours. So i`m very interested as you could imagine. Thanks Gary

65Whelen
02-25-2017, 09:35 PM
So far shot a couple boxes of factory ammo. Worked out some bugs and the last three groups were sub-moa. Just finished my first batch of reloads yesterday. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate to get out soon and see how they shoot.