PDA

View Full Version : LW hunter and bolt release conversion

Aycock
01-17-2017, 10:31 AM
The lightweight hunter comes with the bottom bolt release and has the receiver machined flat where a top bolt release would go. Would this make for an easy conversion? Anyone tested the clearance? Savage declines to comment on the matter.

olddav
01-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Take some measurements and I'll compare it to my old flatback action if that will help.

RC20
01-17-2017, 02:12 PM
I would think so. I have a Bottom Bolt release with a fully round rear receive and with a small bit of bending it worked. Rubs a bit but reliably functions.

Also good to know if they keep that then it makes a perfect candidate for a conversion without bending (one member broke it) and trying to heat it a bit to help it bend.

I don't care to file off the receiver (not a real problem) as it then causes issues with ever selling the gun.

jpdown
01-17-2017, 06:06 PM
The Savage LWH action does not have a flat spot milled into the rear of the action to make the top bolt release sear arm work. There are some pockets of metal removed to lighten the action. THe LWH round rear action has the same dimensions as the standard round rear BBR action.