PDA

View Full Version : Axis owners with high round counts out there?

Pages : [1] 2

czfan
01-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Are there any owners with high or fairly high round counts through their Axis rifles?

How many rounds have been fired?
How durable has the Axis been?
What broke and when did it break?
Did the repair cost a lot?

s3silver
01-16-2017, 12:30 AM
I have an axis in 308. Not a high round count rifle, but my mag did break after 50 rounds or so. The bottom plastic clip towards the rear broke off. Mag still hangs together because of the two side clips, but very annoyed it broke already. Complete mags cost around $40. Have not looked in to see how much the bottom piece costs. It seems savage parts finder site is down? Page doesn't load for me.

Not too fond of the stock, but rifle has shot good so far. Cycles great and have had no fail to fire yet.

Robinhood
01-16-2017, 06:49 PM
The general quality of all entry level rifles is pretty low. But it is a tool. With that being said the Barrel is normally the least of your worries but the stock and its plastic mag parts leave a lot to be desired. If you can't afford to

You really cant go wrong with a Savage, a Ruger American or the Remington 783. I think Winchester has an newer Barrel nut offering and the Patriot is another decent rifle. Howa 1500 also sold as the Weatherby Vangaurd is not a bad choice either. I put the Axis at the bottom of the list out of those. The model 10 Savage is easier to upgrade than all the others.

Buy once Cry once often applies, if you are familiar with the product you are probably going to be happier with your choice.

s3silver
01-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Agreed. The axis model really is an entry level rifle in terms of fit, finish, and quality hard use parts. I do prefer the model 11/111's and have several. I just happen to come across a great deal on this axis and couldn't pass it up. I traded my Savage 17 hmr for it. It was a straight trade and only had 20 rounds trough it.

For what it is, it has shot great, holding moa or less at 200 yards with handloads and a super cheap scope I had laying around.

ninner
01-18-2017, 02:06 PM
While the Axis is the entry level option and uglier than the 10/110 offering, in my opinion it's a more accurate platform to build on due to rigidity of the closed top receiver. Just my experience could be wrong but I have seen bolt slide differences on a 110 due to receiver screw torque, That and the target receivers more closely resemble the Axis design.

SageRat Shooter
01-18-2017, 02:26 PM
I agree with Ninner... the action should be one of the strongest that Savage makes. I have an axis 22-250 action that has had about 3000 rounds through it and it is still working well. I had some ejector issues after about 1000 rounds, but everyone knows this about Savage ejectors (weak springs and undersized detent balls). Put some new ones in and she cycles just fine now. I put a Boyd's Prairie hunter stock on it and upgraded the barrel to a Criterion 26" heavy sporter.

I've had zero problems with it since. I really like the enclosed port as it adds some stiffness to the action, but the aftermarket parts Limit what you can do to them. The 11/111 has much wider possibilities.

alltherage
01-18-2017, 11:13 PM
I agree on the axis action rigidity. My axis 243 outa outshoots my model 12's

ninner
01-20-2017, 09:02 PM
The only thing I've had break is the Bolt Handle, when I tried to thread it. Under normal use it would have lasted.

ivob
02-19-2017, 06:05 PM
I have exactly 70 rounds down the pipe - tomorrow that will increase by 119

foxx
02-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Parts are not expensive and easily replaced. If you can do repairs yourself (not difficult) it will never be an expensive rifle to maintain or repair if problems arise (assuming they continue to offer them). For example, the plastic bottom on the mag is about $2 to replace, but what an inconvenience it could prove to be if you lost your only mag on a hunting trip.

BZimm
02-25-2017, 10:49 AM
I have 17 rounds through my 30-06 Axis II, and I like the weapon (a lot). My son has 13 rounds through his 270 Axis, and three of those went in the freezer. He's cheap.

DocScott
03-02-2017, 12:52 AM
I have 1050 rnds though my Axis II XP .223. I have 375 rnds through my Axis HB .308. No issues, no repairs on either. Both have Boyd's stocks which I pillared and bedded. Both have triggers smoothed and set for 2.75 lb break. I love them both.

ivob
04-17-2017, 08:46 AM
827 rounds through my 308 HB
Mag that came with the rifle rear part broke at 487 rounds
No problems ejecting spent rounds
Can single feed each round if I want to with no jams
Best 5 shot group at 100 yards was .812
stock is original as factory built
rifle basix trigger installed by gunsmith set just under 2.5 pounds
my recommendation on the Axis find one buy one

pisgah
04-17-2017, 10:19 AM
I have a .270 with fewer than 100 rounds and a .223 with maybe 300 rounds. The plastic magazine tab of the .270 was broken when I got it out of the box -- somebody at the dealer's futzing around with it, no doubt. Savage handled that nicely, and I got TWO new mags, free-of-charge, 2 days after reporting the problem to them. The .223 has chugged along without any issues and has accounted for one deer and numerous song-dogs along with the centers of dozens of paper targets.

bc83
04-18-2017, 10:43 AM
I have a 223 axis the only thing stock on it is the receiver and bolt most accurate guns I own over 1000 rounds down it no issues. Getting another one built into custom bench gun they are very strong actions.

J.Baker
04-18-2017, 11:12 AM
While the Axis is the entry level option and uglier than the 10/110 offering, in my opinion it's a more accurate platform to build on due to rigidity of the closed top receiver. Just my experience could be wrong but I have seen bolt slide differences on a 110 due to receiver screw torque, That and the target receivers more closely resemble the Axis design.

I agree with Ninner... the action should be one of the strongest that Savage makes. I have an axis 22-250 action that has had about 3000 rounds through it and it is still working well. I had some ejector issues after about 1000 rounds, but everyone knows this about Savage ejectors (weak springs and undersized detent balls). Put some new ones in and she cycles just fine now. I put a Boyd's Prairie hunter stock on it and upgraded the barrel to a Criterion 26" heavy sporter.

I've had zero problems with it since. I really like the enclosed port as it adds some stiffness to the action, but the aftermarket parts Limit what you can do to them. The 11/111 has much wider possibilities.

I agree on the axis action rigidity. My axis 243 outa outshoots my model 12's

So for you guys who think the Axis is better because it offers more rigidity, here's a question for you:

How rigid does the action have to be?

In my 30+ years of shooting and 15 years of running this site, I've yet to find anyone who could definitively prove that the standard 10/110 open top action lacks sufficient rigidity for the job at hand. Aside from screwing on a ridiculously long full bull 1.200" barrel, going to a smaller port Axis action doesn't necessarily gain you anything over an open top repeater in terms of accuracy. Is the small port more rigid? Sure. Does that additional rigidity gain you anything? Nope!

An action only has to be rigid enough to do the job it needs to do - support the weight of the barrel. Making it more rigid by eliminating or reducing port size just adds weight.

SageRat Shooter
04-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Furious,

I'll play... My thoughts are strictly theory as I have never tried to figure out "how much stiffer" the axis is then the 10/110 or 11/111. My theory is: the 11/111 action I have originally had a spaghetti sporter barrel on it at only 22". So my thought is: with the stronger axis action... If I screw a longer, heavier, and tighter twist barrel on it, it should be the better one to build on. The 11/111 with the open port and no reinforcement, would "maybe" have a little more play, whip, or give in the action because of the added weight, twist, and length of the new barrel.

It makes some sense to me.... otherwise, what's the point of Savage's target action? if the 11/111 or 10/110 actions are equal to an enclosed port?

prdatr
04-27-2017, 10:31 PM
827 rounds through my 308 HB
Mag that came with the rifle rear part broke at 487 rounds
No problems ejecting spent rounds
Can single feed each round if I want to with no jams
Best 5 shot group at 100 yards was .812
stock is original as factory built
rifle basix trigger installed by gunsmith set just under 2.5 pounds
my recommendation on the Axis find one buy one

I just put a Rifle Basix trigger in mine yesterday, can't wait to shoot it this weekend. Did you have to send the old magazine in to them?

ivob
05-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Hi just read your message - you will find the RB trigger a nice improvement over the stock trigger - btw have 50 rounds of 110 grain bullets using benchmark powder have not had a chance to shoot these yet hopefully in the next few days. Overall I find the Axis very accurate the quality is good too - why spend more $$$ for similar results. Let us know how you like the RB trigger on your Axis - cheers

ivo
since 1967

prdatr
05-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Hi just read your message - you will find the RB trigger a nice improvement over the stock trigger - btw have 50 rounds of 110 grain bullets using benchmark powder have not had a chance to shoot these yet hopefully in the next few days. Overall I find the Axis very accurate the quality is good too - why spend more $$$ for similar results. Let us know how you like the RB trigger on your Axis - cheers

ivo
since 1967

Like it a lot, I have it adjusted a bit too light for hunting but it is ok for the bench. I shot a 5 shot group that was just under an inch with Federal 100gr factory ammo.