PDA

View Full Version : Bedding. action specific?

Maxxwell86
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
If you were to purchase two identical barreled actions with the same manufacturers barrel and profile just in different barrel lengths, could you bed one action and still use the stock as a swap out for the other action?

Granted the ballistics, ammo and zero's would be different, but if both actions were permanently scoped and packaged with their favorite loads, is there any problem with this idea?

jo191145
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Actions are like snowflakes.

earl39
08-15-2010, 07:54 PM
i would have to agree with jo BUT!!! that being said you will never know unless you try. and that is one gun experiment that most likely won't blowup in your face.

82boy
08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
I would say it would work as long as you keep the bedding around the recoil lug on the loose side of things. If one action is a few thousands longer or shorter it may not fit the recoil lug area.

jo191145
08-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I'll delve into this a little further. Specifically Savage actions. One, this is a Savage site and two they're the only action I have a slight knowledge of manufacturing specifics. Notice I said slight ;)

First its my understanding heat treating and quench adds a touch of warp to an action. If thats true its logical to assume the amount of warp would be variable between two different actions.
Then theres the hand polishing station. This area alone would be responsible for the most variables between two seperate actions.

Now you get to the recoil lug. Factory action faces are never perfectly trued which meens the recoil lug will be slightly crooked. Lengths can vary also. So now you have recoil lugs at varying angles and lengths and actions with different contours and warpage.

All that said its probable the bedding job would be better than out of the box factory fit unbedded stock.
I would imagine the action used for bedding would exhibit better accuracy potential. My concern would be using the second action would begin to damage that bedding job and try to form it unto its own dimensions ever so slightly. Bedding is malleable. Some more than others.

Deer rifle accuracy you'd probably never notice. Looking for Benchrest accuracy I'd never swap out an action. JMO

davemuzz
08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Actions are like snowflakes.

OMG!!!...I put my Savage in my gun safe last Feb. and haven't looked at it since!!

Are you telling me since we've had all this hot weather ......it's MELTED!!!!

CRAP!!

Dave

Maxxwell86
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
First its my understanding heat treating and quench adds a touch of warp to an action. If thats true its logical to assume the amount of warp would be variable between two different actions.
Then theres the hand polishing station. This area alone would be responsible for the most variables between two seperate actions.

Now you get to the recoil lug. Factory action faces are never perfectly trued which meens the recoil lug will be slightly crooked. Lengths can vary also. So now you have recoil lugs at varying angles and lengths and actions with different contours and warpage.

All that said its probable the bedding job would be better than out of the box factory fit unbedded stock.
I would imagine the action used for bedding would exhibit better accuracy potential. My concern would be using the second action would begin to damage that bedding job and try to form it unto its own dimensions ever so slightly. Bedding is malleable. Some more than others.

Deer rifle accuracy you'd probably never notice. Looking for Benchrest accuracy I'd never swap out an action. JMO

Sounds logical to me. Just another idea (yes, I have them) that needed another set of eyes. ::)