PDA

View Full Version : New axis 223hb range report & blah blah blah...

Hank Williams
01-15-2017, 04:51 AM
Even after taking my target pictures I now see I fall into the "less than Caveman" catagory. Just never had to do so much to load pictures. on other forums just select and post... Anyways From my new Axis HB all original cept for a triger polish and a Mueller Tactical 25x I was pleased with its 100yd performance. Suported by sandbags at the front end of the handgaurd and aft the triger gaurd.
And After I learned the factory trigger thats soon to be replaced by a Timney My best of the day was 10--4shot groups at 2" using Win .69g bthp match , 10--4 shot group at 3" with Hornady .75 bthp match and 2-- dime size groups with Win .69g bthp match. I also shot some Federal 55g fmj 100rd value pack, I shot those first, they were inconsistent 3-9" could have been I was learning the factory triger for the first time, me or just the ammo wasnt till I got home and saw on the back of the box "best used in AR type riffles" so ill try those again I only shot 16 of them. I thought the first thing I would change was the stock till today. Ill be getting Timney triger on it soon. Then the stock will follow. Only cause between the two ,the trigger gave me more grief, it was a jerky affair lol.

s3silver
01-16-2017, 12:47 AM
Nice shooting. Accu or non-accu trigger?

Hank Williams
01-16-2017, 04:33 AM
factory non acu trigger.

s3silver
01-17-2017, 01:22 AM
Yea, those non-accu triggers are pretty horrible.

Hank Williams
01-17-2017, 04:14 AM
Ill have another range report in two weeks after receiving a Timney adjustable unit. As I found out today from a Savage rep the acu triger can not be retro fited to the pre acu Axis. I have a Hog Hunter 308 and the triger is a huge improvement over the non acu triger.

SageRat Shooter
01-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Hank,

Just a thought, you could do a spring swap on the non-accutrigger which would drop the pull weight down from that 7 lb. down to about 2.5- 3 lbs... You can find replacement springs on Amazon.... or the spring out of a Bic retractable pen.

The other thing that I did was to "snip" a few coils off of the stock spring which lightened mine up to about 3 lbs.

Disclaimer: It will void your warranty, and may result in an accidental discharge if banged too hard. With that being said, I've tested it over and over again, and I've never had an accidental discharge.

Hank Williams
01-17-2017, 04:47 PM
yup took off 1.5 coils off the original when i polished it. its down to 4lbs now.