PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage model 11

farmerboy
01-14-2017, 10:52 PM
I recently purchased a Model 11 .223. It loads through the bolt. There are so many variations of the m-11 and I cannot find any info on which mine is. All I read about are m-11 with detachable magazine which I do not have. Any help would be appreciated. Also is there any way to change it over to a gun with a detachable magazine? Thanks!

s3silver
01-15-2017, 01:11 AM
What information are you looking to find out?

From my understanding all model 10/11 have essentially the same action with different stock options. Your's is a top feed with a blind magazine. Take the stock off to see if the blind mag attached to the action is removable. If so then you'll just have to buy a new stock.

big honkin jeep
01-15-2017, 02:47 AM
Enter the serial # in the Savage parts finder at the savage website and it should tell you exactly what you have (or at least how it left the factory anyway)

farmerboy
01-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Enter the serial # in the Savage parts finder at the savage website and it should tell you exactly what you have (or at least how it left the factory anyway)
I've been trying to find that. Will keep looking. Thanks for your help

farmerboy
01-15-2017, 08:14 AM
What information are you looking to find out?

From my understanding all model 10/11 have essentially the same action with different stock options. Your's is a top feed with a blind magazine. Take the stock off to see if the blind mag attached to the action is removable. If so then you'll just have to buy a new stock.
Ok looks like I need a new stock and a couple detachables. Thanks so much for your help. I couldn't find much about a top feed on the internet. I've seen the scout model, trophy hunter model etc but mine just says model 11. Just curious about the gun. It's my first hunting rifle because we cannot use rifles for deer hunting where I live. Only straight side and shotgun.

RC20
01-15-2017, 11:58 AM
I will see if I can clear this up, my brother was asking the same thing the other day on a great deal he got.

Savage is a modular system. Model ID on barrel is meaningless, r back track though the SN will get you the original configuration.

The only ID on the receiver is the SN, there is no real ID on the barrel, just lists the Caliber and Base model.

So, real world.

BTH-111: Per Savage that is a Boyd Thumbhole Hunter . All it says on the barrel is Model 111.

Say someone took it out of the Lightweight Boyds Thumbhole stock and put it in a composite. Not a clue it had been done, other than going by SN (which is dumped out of Savage system for my gun as its over the edge of the dates they keep gun information on )
That Pencil barrel could be put on any long action (110/111/114/116). Differences between those, one of those is probably stainless. Other have polished bolts, some tactical flat etc. Bottom bolt release vs top bolt release.

So Savage has barrels, they have actions, they have bolts that are jeweled, flat tactical color , at least 3 variants of handle on the bolt, barrel wise they have Light hunter (pencil) heavy hunter (Magnums which I think are heavy hunter, they have Varmint, they have Bull.

Any of those parts can be combined into configurations , given a whiz bang sales ID that does not show up on the Barrel ID

I have a 116 XP Pro Hunter. On the barrel is says Model 111. Broken down that was a long action, jeweled bolt, pencil barrel with a low cost scope, low grade plastic stock.
Only the SN would have shown that. What really counts is it is a bottom bolt release (for those who build on actions, they want to know that)

I forget what my brother found, call it a Varmint Acu stock McMillian of some kind

His question was is it real or did someone put it together? Is it s a fake?

My answer was yes it could be a fake but why would anyone have done that to duplicate a common model that has no collector value?
Common sense says someone did not do that and then sell it for far less than the money they put into it. Its real and it does not matter.

Same answer, call Savage on the SN, he did it was.

Other than that, you can match yours it up with existing models. Really doesn't matter.

If I am buying a used Savage its how good is the condition, bottom or top bolt release, is it long action or short, what barrel and stock is on it?

Savage will build you a s special if they have the parts, I can get that 116 XP Trophy Hunter with a tactical bolt handle on a jeweled body if I want. Not sure why I would do it but they would do it.

farmerboy
01-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Starting to get it now. Sorta like a mutt gun. Whatever it is I'm happy so far. I may change it over to a magazine gun because I'm not too thrilled with a top load. Thanks everyone for great insight

s3silver
01-16-2017, 12:25 AM
You're welcome.

You got it. Their standard short and long actions (most commonly out there) are basically the same. It's what Savage accessorizes it with that makes all the confusing models they have. After that other actions they have are axis (very common entry model), 12 (large shank, higher precision model), and target actions. I'm sure there are a few other odd balls out there.

big honkin jeep
01-16-2017, 01:07 AM
Probably not a mutt.
The model 11s are pretty much a series of basic common hunting rifles. They were usually classified as an economy rifle prior to the Axis. For many years they consisted of usually a plain wood or synthetic blind mag stock with a blued finish and a 22" thin barrel. Many of them also came with an inexpensive scope as a package gun. There are tons and tons of model 11s with blind magazines like yours in every caliber imaginable.
I wouldn't classify it as a mutt just an ordinary hunting setup. They like most any Savage have potential to be amazingly accurate with the right load provided it's in decent shape. If it's too old to be in the parts finder you probably have an older model known as a flat back because of a flat surface tapped for the scope base on the top rear of the action. (uses a different rear mount than the newer round receivers) One of the differences between the old and the newer rifles is that the old flat backs use a stagger feed magazine system. Some of the stagger feed detachable boxes can be kinda finicky, while the blind stagger feed boxes seem to be very reliable in my experience. If you decide to keep it as a blind mag I'd recommend 2 piece scope bases just for the extra room and easier access to the loading/ejection port.
Good luck

RC20
01-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Think of it as Modular. Again my brother is saying, this is not right, its not how its done. .

Savage just goes about it differently. Never going to be a collector.

They have all those parts and can put them together in any combo.

Not all are as their sales are based on numbers, but it can be done and you can ask for it.

Not making a Name ID saves them a lot of money as they stamp things just one way and then mix em up to get the best sales sales.

My 116 play chassis is probably a Mutt now, it has a Boyd's stock on it now, a Savage Varmint contour that came off another gun, rail instead of the Nikon mounts and a Redfield scope instead of the Nikon and a quick detach mount.

farmerboy
01-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Well I shot it and it was pretty close. A few adjustments. Now I need to find a stock slotted for detach mags. Good places to start?

farmerboy
01-16-2017, 05:42 PM
that's good insight. its got round top of the receiver. I'm really happy with it so far.