PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 110E

dmac1392
01-14-2017, 07:07 PM
I picked up a 110E 7mm Rem Mag from a local gun show today. It has a Boyd's thumb hole stock with no access for the clip. making it a single shot. Owner said it's never been fired. I'm new to rifles so I'm not sure what to search for to correct my problem.
i got home and dropped a spent cartridge in and tried closing the bolt.
it jammed and I was unable to close the bolt. Appears that the bolt will not slide far enough forward.
I compared this rifle to my brothers Tikka (same caliber) and it looks to me like the casing does not seat all the way. Hopefully my description makes sense and that I didn't just learn an expensive lesson.

keeki
01-14-2017, 07:13 PM
It's a blind mag, and I'm thinking the front action screw is too long and the bolthead is hitting it

keeki
01-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Will the bolt close without a round in it

dmac1392
01-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Will the bolt close without a round in it

Yes. It closes and seems to function fine without a round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmac1392
01-14-2017, 08:20 PM
It's a blind mag, and I'm thinking the front action screw is too long and the bolthead is hitting it

I will search for that.
Thx.

keeki
01-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Sounds like a headspace problem then

RustyShackle
01-14-2017, 10:36 PM
If the fired case is from a rifle with "more" headspace or a slightly larger throat, then the fired brass very well could jam, while having perfectly acceptable headspace.

dmac1392
01-14-2017, 11:35 PM
If the fired case is from a rifle with "more" headspace or a slightly larger throat, then the fired brass very well could jam, while having perfectly acceptable headspace.

Learning more by the minute.
Thx

keeki
01-15-2017, 12:35 AM
Ya, I read that wrong. I thought he was trying to chamber an un shot load

ninner
01-15-2017, 12:50 AM
How far back is the bolt when it binds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmac1392
01-15-2017, 01:26 AM
How far back is the bolt when it binds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll measure tomorrow.

RC20
01-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a headspace problem then

Not that far out.

Using the precaution of keeping you finger off the trigger, get a live cartridge and gently try it.

J.Baker
01-15-2017, 12:20 PM
i got home and dropped a spent cartridge in and tried closing the bolt.

As someone else already pointed out, right there in bold is the cause of your problem. The neck on a fired case will be expanded enough to not easily chamber without having been resized first. Given this case was also fired in a different rifle it's highly probable that the case is blown out in other areas that wouldn't match this rifles chamber.

While I'm sure the rifle and headspace is probably fine, given your obvious nievety with rifles I would highly suggest taking it to a gunsmith to be checked out AND to have him go over the rifle with you so you know what you're doing and how it's supposed to function and what you need to do to properly maintain it. Not only will it give you peace of mind that the rifle is safe, you'll also learn a few things to help make you a better/safer gun owner which never hurts.

dmac1392
01-15-2017, 12:39 PM
As someone else already pointed out, right there in bold is the cause of your problem. The neck on a fired case will be expanded enough to not easily chamber without having been resized first. Given this case was also fired in a different rifle it's highly probable that the case is blown out in other areas that wouldn't match this rifles chamber.

While I'm sure the rifle and headspace is probably fine, given your obvious nievety with rifles I would highly suggest taking it to a gunsmith to be checked out AND to have him go over the rifle with you so you know what you're doing and how it's supposed to function and what you need to do to properly maintain it. Not only will it give you peace of mind that the rifle is safe, you'll also learn a few things to help make you a better/safer gun owner which never hurts.

Thanks.
I have sourced a local gunsmith. I'll be taking the rifle to them as soon as possible. I do have a friend with decades of experience and will meet with him when he's back in town.
I've also downloaded the manual as a start.