PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little puzzled..

tcoz
01-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Yesterday I shot my new FCP-SR for the first time. I was very impressed and I have a general question.
I have a few AR's, an M1 Garand and an M1 carbine but the FCP is my first ever bolt gun. I was using Federal 150gr ammo to get started until I begin handloading for it. When I ejected the cases I noticed that they were barely warm even when ejected immediately after firing. With my AR's and especially with the Garand, the cases are extremely hot when they're ejected. The 30-06 cases from the Garand are so hot that they have to be allowed to sit on the ground for 20-30 seconds before I pick them up. I thought about pressure differences being the cause but full power 30-06 loads are somewhat similar to .308 and the Garand even uses less than full power loads.
There's probably a simple explanation that I haven't thought of so if anybody knows I'd really be interested in finding out just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks.

67tundra
01-14-2017, 09:16 AM
My guess is semi auto is gas operated(hot gas). But maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gschnarr
01-14-2017, 11:31 AM
The 10 FCP SR is a heavier barrel than you M1 carbine or grand. The heavier barrel alone will take longer to begin to get hot which causes the brass be hotter after firing. Add that to the much higher rate of fire with the two semi autos which really heats the chamber and barrel, you fired brass shot from the Savage at much slower rate of fire will be much cooler initially. If you rapid fire the savage its brass will also get very hot. It's all about heat dispersion.

NicfromAlabama
01-14-2017, 02:03 PM
I think what everyone has said so far is correct and plays a part. I think the main reasons the cases are hotter has most likely been stated. But, since I started shooting ARs and reloading, I have realized powders can also be a factor in how hot the case is when it is ejected. I accidentally discovered that when I loaded ammo for my ARs using Winchester 748 powder, the cases are cool enough to pick up immediately upon ejection. Using IMR 3031 powder, for example, will burn your hand, even on the first round. I don't rapid fire my ARs, so the gas system operation of the semi-autos undoubtedly plays a role. Returning hot gas back to the bolt just above the chamber certainly does not help matters.

Robinhood
01-14-2017, 02:18 PM
yep, the barrel cools down the brass.

tcoz
01-14-2017, 05:28 PM
It must be a combination of factors but as far as the barrel cooling the brass, I fired a couple of rounds and ejected the cases as quickly as I could and they still weren't warm. Powder might make somewhat of a difference but I used to load a K31 with the same powder (IMR4064) that I use for the Garand and the K31 cases were almost as cool as the Savage ones but as I said, the Garand cases are smokin hot.
Oh well, I don't want to waste more of anyone's time pondering the answer to an irrelevant question. Thanks for your responses guys.

243LPR
01-14-2017, 11:06 PM
The barrel acts like a heat sink. A bolt gun isn't ripping them right out of the chamber as fast as a semi gun.

roootie3
01-24-2017, 08:55 PM
The barrel acts like a heat sink. A bolt gun isn't ripping them right out of the chamber as fast as a semi gun.

Who cares... what's your consern????

tcoz
01-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Who cares... what's your consern????

Did you read my OP? He's offering a possible explanation to my question which I stated in the last line was just to satisfy my curiosity. If you don't have something to add, don't bother to respond.