PDA

View Full Version : No safety??

Nor Cal Mikie
08-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Model 16, Accu trigger. Shoots bug holes. Used "strictly" for bench shooting so the only time it has a round in the chamber is when it's ready to shoot.
Problem is the safety lever won't move with the bolt "in the action". Swapped bolts and still no set. Bolt out, safety lever moves smooth with no problem. Everything looks good compared to 3 different model 12s. Adjusted the trigger spring "way" back and can apply the safety with "extra force" but not smooth like it should be. Anybody got any ideas??
And, what's the small set screw behind the Accu Release Tension Spring going up from the bottom, just ahead of the trigger spring adjustment hole?

Armed in Utah
08-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Something out of adjustment....never had that problem with the A/T....

Lube it with moly lube ??

???

Nor Cal Mikie
08-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Well I've figured out it's "not" a stock problem or a bolt problem. Out of the stock it still doesn't set and with a different bolt, I've still got the same problem. I don't think it's a lube problem. This one has me stumped. Not too big of a problem but it would be nice to have a safety if I have someone else working the trigger.
Probably a adjustment but I'am not sure which screw to turn. :-\ (if any ;))

juliomorris
08-15-2010, 04:01 PM
There are 2 set screws on the trigger right behind the shoe. The first one is the adjustment for the safety. it probably out of adjustment, it should have a plastic cap over it to keep it from creeping. See if you can find the directions for adjusting the rifle basix trigger online. It tells you how to adjust the safety.

bodywerks
08-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Is this a three-position safety? If you can get to the first position but not the second and its that way with more than one bolt then you need to send it to savage.
I assume you know that you have to have the bolt cocked, not just installed. Otherwise, the safety aint going nowhere.
If you can't get it into the first position then it is simply your safety engagement screw that needs adjustment.

GUNFANATIC
08-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Every time I've experienced this problem it was because the over travel screw on the back of the trigger was set too far in. Back that out about a 1/4 turn and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

sharpshooter
08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
The safety adjustment screw on an accutrigger is plugged with a plastic ball. Dig it out with a small drill bit to get to the screw and back it off.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-15-2010, 07:17 PM
The safety adjustment screw was plugged but it looked like a screw slot. Dug out the plug and looked at the top of the screw. No slot! ??? Had to pull the trigger and get at it from the other end to adjust it. Too much and the safety wouldn't block the trigger so I backed it off a touch and all is well now. Thanks guys for your input.