PDA

View Full Version : Five things anyone wanting to shoot long range should know.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Rosco
01-15-2017, 04:42 PM
[emoji897][emoji849] it's becoming more amusing to lurk on this forum than to post lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+11

eddiesindian
01-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Interesting thread.
My train of thought on this thread is the same train of thought I have while tossing them out to distance against all range of shooters, from self proclaimed experts who are always willing to spew there expert advice whether you ask for it or not, to shooter's who believe the more coin you have on the rig the more accurate you'll be to great friends, fellow shooters, and foes alike.
I prefer to weed out the bad and keep the good. Stay quiet, listen and learn if need be, and let your actions and outcomes speak for themselves. Keep it humble.
To the op.......I believe you meant well by posting your thread but imho, maybe a different title to your thread like......."For those beginners who may be interested in shooting long range "
Even then your going to get difference of opinions, some good,some really off the path and so on.
The ying and yang of shooting and reloading is all subjective. Always has been, always will be.

mbohuntr
01-21-2017, 05:03 PM
:fencing: We are arguing about two separate things here... My personal standard on hunting is if I cannot place a bullet in the vitals with 98% certainty, I wait for a better opportunity. The animal deserves that mercy.
Target shooting is another matter altogether.. you don't improve if you don't push the limits to find the maximum range and conditions... failure is part of that process..

WeldNFool
01-28-2017, 12:09 AM
Interesting thread. Back when I went thru boot we had open sites on a 5.56 at 200, 300 and 500. At 200 you were standing and sitting. We had a military issued log book and guys in the pits marking shots. Reading wind was looking at the big sock on the berm. I learned the old way and I'm no thousand yard shooter, sniper, mile shot guy and I am rusty as heck. The challenge of making long shots, even 500 yards is fun. If our local range manages to open up the 1000 yard range you can bet I'll be there.

The technology as stated is mind boggling. Hand held wind meters that calculate elevation, angle to target, wind speed then spit out your dope. Scope mounted gadgets that calculate everything and bam, you're on target. Saw a guy at the range that had the $600 wind meter dohicky, apps on his ipad, phone and a host of other high end objects and I could only think to myself, how could you miss?? I have no issues with the guys that buy all of this gear, spend upwards of $10k for a rifle and ding a target at 1000 yards or parade around with their tiny groupings. I have more respect for the guys that have a simple book, maybe a calculator and MATH that do the same thing. Taking a scope dialed in at 100 yards then randomly picking 6" steel targets around the range at guesstimated distances and nailing them first shot with some holdover on the scope impresses me more than thousands of dollars in gadgets that enables you to do so.

Now, a quality chronograph to find that perfect load, I see this as a valuable tool. The precision rifle, yeah, valuable but as I said in the beginning we were hitting bulls at 500 in boot with open sites on rifles that have had God only knows how many rounds sent down the barrel. I think shooting is like a profession. Some people can others can't so they make gadgets for those that lack the ability, a compensator if you will. In my profession the career picks you, you don't pick the career. Some claim to be welders and shouldn't be and have witnessed as a teacher many who have tried and tried and never could master it or even grasp it. Some slip thru and claim to be and the evidence is in the welds I'm called out to repair all the time. They even make gadgets in welding for those who can't weld, enabling.

I'm old school, the challenge of figuring it out without the dodads and gadgets is more fun, keeps the wheels turning and learning in my opinion. As I said, I have no disrespect for those that support the gadget market but if you see me at the range and you're talking about what a tack driver you have and how you never miss at xxx or xxxx yards and your bench is full of the latest and greatest do everything for me gadgets then be prepared for me to give you a fake smile and a customary "cool".

That's just my opinion and what makes this sport entertaining for me. To each his own I guess.

eddiesindian
01-29-2017, 02:53 AM
Great write up Weldnfool.
I couldn't agree with you more. I find it challenging to do my own math on ballistics calculations, good old calculator, pencil and note book. Took me months to come up with my own formula to adjust my 1/4 moa scope (which works everytime I might add) at what ever distances. Sure there,s gizmos,gadets and calculators out there that work just fine but like I said, Its a challenge to configure it on your own. You,d swear I just won the lotto after sending a round out to whatever distance and hitting my objective 1st round. It sure does help keep the brain cells active. Im not a hunter, Im a target shooter so dialing up the turrets doesn't have to be done asap.

cowtownup
01-29-2017, 08:03 AM
If you guys have a minute I would like to see the formula you use to calculate drop with. How much information are you taking into consideration? Thanks

yobuck
01-29-2017, 10:17 AM
I doubt you will find many doing their own calculations by using a formula.
Most would use a program like JBM or one of many others available.
The more accurate the information entered, the more accurate the information received.
For casual shooters, and most hunters, a simple version chart showing elevation only will suffice.
This can also be obtained by using JBM and entering (averages) for things like elevation, temp, barametric pressure, etc.
The rest of the information is what ever it is at the moment, and needs to be acted upon accordingly by use of sighter shots.
The most accurate way is to have a dedicated I phone with a program installed, and do it for each shot, or at least the first shot.

WeldNFool
01-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Thanks Eddie. I seriously sucked at math in school and now my job is filled with it and my hobby has it too! Hobby and job make it interesting I guess and want to force myself into figuring it out. I know what you mean about the lotto, when I figure it out I smile to myself, maybe chuckle become a bit of a big shot and joke around with my kid or friend about being awesome, joking of course! To much to learn to get the swelled head and stay in the clouds!

eddiesindian
01-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Thanks Eddie. I seriously sucked at math in school and now my job is filled with it and my hobby has it too! Hobby and job make it interesting I guess and want to force myself into figuring it out. I know what you mean about the lotto, when I figure it out I smile to myself, maybe chuckle become a bit of a big shot and joke around with my kid or friend about being awesome, joking of course! To much to learn to get the swelled head and stay in the clouds!
It is challenging to do the math. I think that's what perks our interest. As "we" mentioned, sure there's calculations apps out. You'd have to have been living and hiding under a rock for years not to know that.
As long as all my input data is 100% correct to calculate my drop (G1 or G7) from bullet manufacturer websites via the Web then my come up formula for my scope is spot on. Sure they give you drop in inches, moa, mil, adjustments but for me? That ain't no fun.
I guess we're on the same boat here. My shooting buddies think I'm full of crap until they see me hit 6"x8" steels from
500 to 800 yds using my formula. They laugh it off which is good by me. There a great bunch of guys.

eddiesindian
01-31-2017, 02:32 AM
If you guys have a minute I would like to see the formula you use to calculate drop with. How much information are you taking into consideration? Thanks

Ck your pm cowtownup

Baller
02-14-2017, 03:20 PM
In response to the people saying if you hunt, or shoot, in the wind, learn shoot in the wind. I'm new to this whole thing and rarely shoot, but your mention of shooting in the wind reminds me of something. Shooting in the wind should be looked at like PGA golfers look at sand traps; you work on it until you have no fear of it. That seems to be how one should view the wind. If you don't like or don't know how to shoot in the wind, go shoot in the wind. It's just another variable that one should be ready and confident do deal with. Like the OP posted, it's math, not voodoo.

yobuck
02-14-2017, 04:38 PM
In response to the people saying if you hunt, or shoot, in the wind, learn shoot in the wind. I'm new to this whole thing and rarely shoot, but your mention of shooting in the wind reminds me of something. Shooting in the wind should be looked at like PGA golfers look at sand traps; you work on it until you have no fear of it. That seems to be how one should view the wind. If you don't like or don't know how to shoot in the wind, go shoot in the wind. It's just another variable that one should be ready and confident do deal with. Like the OP posted, it's math, not voodoo.

Make sure you call back after you've mastered it. lol

cowtownup
02-14-2017, 07:47 PM
Well get your wind flags on the way.... cause you sure cant see it...

www.bagsbybandy.com

hafejd30
02-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Yup I'm with yobuck and cowtownup. Let us know how that works for you. You stated you rarely shoot, I believe it. Wind values based on angle, headwind, tailwind, gusts, up drafts and many many other factors need to be considered EVERY shot. Enter your values in your app, dial your scope and scratch your head when you miss.

You have much to learn grasshopper.....