PDA

View Full Version : Savage caliber interchangeablity

wicat3
01-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Hey everyone. I was wondering what caliber can you change to another caliber? I have been looking at 30-06,308 and 270 rifles so far just curious as to what caliber I can swap barrels out for.

rbp75503
01-13-2017, 08:31 AM
You will find that in the Savage FAQ, a pdf of "whatfits"

flangster
01-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Briefly: You have at least four variables. There are long actions (like 30-06, .270) and short actions (such as 308 (mostly) and .223 (mostly -- I have a long action .223, though). If you have an action from a long action caliber, it can be made to work with another by swapping the barrel (and maybe the bolt head). You can also chamber a long action with a shorter cartridge, but not the other way around. Obviously a bolt for a long action, will only work in that size action. Same for small. However, there are also "families" of bolt head to account for different diameter cases (e.g. .308 and its derivations like .260 Remington)(or .223 and its family, like 222 and .300 ACC)(or 30-06 and its derivations). Then there are (in Savage) two shank sizes, large and small: small shank receivers only take small shank barrels, and large shank receivers only take large shank barrels. An action can be large shank or small shank independent of caliber. For instance, I am currently wrestling with a Savage Target action in .223, which is threaded for large shank barrels. My 111 action (.308, .260, 6.5x55) is short shank. BUT, I also have a .223 (Model 16) in a short shank, which is more common these days, I think. You must also make sure that your stock is inlet in a way that makes using more than one barrel possible (this is a fifth variable: barrel contour).

Is your head spinning yet? Actually, it makes sense once you start problem solving for your particular project.

For instance, 30-06 and .270 Winchester shouldn't be too hard. The .270 is just a necked-down 30-06 cartridge to begin with, so action length, bolt length, and bolt head should be the same. With a barrel swap (carefully headspaced), you could be good to go, assuming the barrels are the same width/contour. .308 is a whole 'nother branch of the family tree (I think it is derived from the .300 Savage). The cartridge is shorter and the case head is a smaller size than the 30-06. I am not saying it can't be done on one action, but you are solving more problems to get there. Personally, I have one short action and one long action and I try to keep my barrel purchases in line with the bolt heads I already own. I tell myself "keep it simple st****," and sometimes I even remember to follow my own advice.

Having written the above, there is more to it than simply unscrewing one barrel and attaching another. The barrel must be properly headspaced or you can do damage to your firearm and yourself (and bystanders). You must take all responsibility for safely making changes to a working firearm. If you don't have experience in this, go to a gunsmith with a good track record to get the work done. Safety first and LAST. And once you have different barrels you are swapping on the same action you are introducing the possibility of error in the mix (don't try to chamber that .223 cartridge in a .222 barrel (stuck) or much worse .300 ACC in a .223 (boom)).

RC20
01-13-2017, 01:34 PM
I will try to simplify.

Long Action 30-06 and 270,, 35 Whalen, 338-06 (many others) and Magnums: You can shoot any cartridge length in this gun, you would have to finagle load or make a magazine block in a blind magazine to do so. I do so with a long action 116 and shoot 270, 308 in it currently.
As long as it has a common case head (308, 270, 30-06 and many others, you can shoot it. Add magnum bolt head and shoot those.

My 116 simply has a blind stock type with a wooden block in it that the case sits on and I feed it on in, so it does not care. 308 and 270 are common case heads so I don't have to worry about it. I could shoot 6.5 Creed etc with the right bolt head.

If you change case head types then you need a smaller (223) or larger (magnum) head.

Short Action: That limits you to 308 and under (more or less). 308 bolt head family will work for many, small bolt head for the 6.5, 223 etc. Magazines and feeding are aspects that need to be solved but can be single load. 243, 260, and others.
223 family and the like small bolt head.

You can't shoot the belted magnums in this (long) but you can short (with the magnum bolt head.
Making removable magazine work is outside my experience. I don't use them so have not gone down that trail.