PDA

View Full Version : Next Rifle

homebrewer21625
01-11-2017, 12:08 AM
currently i have an axis 22-250 with a few upgrades(stock, scope). i am thinking of purchasing a new rifle but cant decide on caliber. i would like something that could be used for a 600 yard paper puncher but also have the capability to possibly take on an elk or bear hunt one day. rifle would also be used for dear on occasion. it doesnt have to be an axis. i would prefer a heavy barrel. I had my mind set on a .308 but have recently considered a 6.5 creedmoor. any opinoins would be grealty appreciated. thanks in advance

Zero333
01-11-2017, 01:07 AM
11 Predator Hunter in 6.5 CM

11 Hog Hunter 308win

10 FCP-SR 6.5 CM or 308win and for hunting with it just buy a 4rd savage magazine.

Axis SR in 308win.

For a bit more money you can also get the 10 Predator Hunter Max

RC20
01-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Elk hunt puts you into the 308, also good target, easy on barrels.

Bear hunt depends on what kind, Black 308 is fine, Brown Bear and you want the punch of a 30-06 in a 200+ gr. Granted its not your normal listed gun, but before Magnums came along that's what they shot them with and effectively.

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 10:55 AM
I personally don't consider the 308 to be a GREAT choice for elk or bear. Can it be done? Sure. Plenty of elk have been killed with a 22. Doesn't mean its a great elk round. Personally I would rather be overgunned than under. With the advent of muzzle brakes and suppressors recoil is easily tamed well under 6.5 Creed level on larger stuff.
Personally I would say a 300WM or 338 Federal would be a better choice for an ALL AROUND kinda rig. Of course my opinion is colored by the fact that our average shot is nearly 750yds where I hunt by design.
We have had issues with the Creed at these ranges and the 308 isn't even in the conversation for this kind of work.
I would slap a good brake on a 300 WM or WSM and go to town. You can load a 300WM to 308 level but ya cant go the other way.

psharon97
01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
You mentioned that you want to punch paper at 600. What is the maximum distance you plan on hunting at?

RC20
01-12-2017, 12:34 PM
The only time I shot out in the vicinity of 750 yards I only grazed the animal. Granted I did it twice standing.

I also was very good at the time (young, tough, construction work, good solid muscles) . Not as good as I needed to be.

Not what people normally do and 308 is fine for Elk at reasonable ranges (those being no more than 400 yds for most of us and a braced positions)

308 is more than adequate for a black bear, I would shoot a Brown bear if I had to with it though 06 would be my choice with a heavy nosed bullet.

My step Granadad and his partners took slews of Elks with an 06 (go the pictures )

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 02:31 PM
The only time I shot out in the vicinity of 750 yards I only grazed the animal. Granted I did it twice standing.

I also was very good at the time (young, tough, construction work, good solid muscles) . Not as good as I needed to be.

Not what people normally do and 308 is fine for Elk at reasonable ranges (those being no more than 400 yds for most of us and a braced positions)

308 is more than adequate for a black bear, I would shoot a Brown bear if I had to with it though 06 would be my choice with a heavy nosed bullet.

My step Granadad and his partners took slews of Elks with an 06 (go the pictures )Shooting 750 isn't magic. It is ROCKET SCIENCE. Luckily with the availability of lasers, apps and environmental meters, its rocket science that anyone who can dial a phone can do nowadays. My unique style of hunting has definitely colored my preference in cartridges.
With the advent of muzzle brakes and electronic muffs, I feel the OLD STANDARDS are no longer as valid as they used to be. A deer may be missed or worse yet WOUNDED with a 308 when a 300WM would have killed it dead. The price difference between the big mags and smaller stuff isn't that large a gap. A 308 bullet and a 300WM is exactly the same if you reload. I figure anyone who is shooting even paper at 600, reloads. Yes brass and powder will run slightly more but shooting out at 600yds isn't a sport for the poor anyway in most cases.

Don't mean to derail the OPs thread, but I don't feel the 6.5 Creed OR 308 will do what he wants nearly as well as something with a little more oomph.

A 6.5 Creed or 308 will print paper to 600 AND kill elk or bear. Will it do it as well as a braked 300WM? Probably not.

What is the COST of going larger?

Recoil, use a brake.
Blast, wear ear muffs (should be with a 22lr anyway).
Weight, most 600 yd setup aren't light anyway.
Cost, bullets will run the same, add 30% to powder and 30% to brass cost.

What is the benefit?
Decreased wind issues. Priceless when you need it.
Decreased drop issues. Priceless when you need it.
Increased killing power. Priceless when you need it.

A good medium ground would be a 7mm of some sort, outmuscle the Creed with 308 level recoil or less with a brake. A 280 , 7RM or 7SAUM would be a vast improvement over either choice.

Since this will be the OPs sole big game rig, it would be nice to have something with a little INSURANCE in case something slightly outside of expected parameters were to present itself. A 308 or Creed is a decent compromise but there are better choices out there.

Just something for the OP to think about and maybe even do some calculations as to what will really do everything he wants. The 308 and Creed are hot nowadays and a lot of that is related to PRs, F/TR and other target disciplines not their suitability for large game OR punching paper.

toddcdozer
01-12-2017, 02:34 PM

My step Granadad and his partners took slews of Elks with an 06 (go the pictures )
I haven't taken an offhand shot at game in 30 yrs LOL. Doesn't even compute to me. Once again my hunting style is definitely different than some.

RC20
01-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Normally I did not either, actually only the once. We seldom have long range shots.
All others were braced postion of some kind.

IN this case it was an open meadow, high grass, no way to kneel brace and see, no tree or bush to lean on.

I actually did good to a point, I just did not trust my setup. I over compensated when I should have put it at the top of the backbone and it would have gone down.

The graze cut open the hide to the bone, I hate to think how few thousand of an inch lower at that range it would have taken out the backbone.

As it moved I gave it a good lead and found out when we skinned it that I had grazed it across the chest. Twice in one day? sheese.

My brother blew its back let off and we tracked it down. He did worse than I did but got lucky (he was aiming at the body!)

No, not a hunt I am proud of. I have never seen a moose standing out in the middle of a meadow before or since during hunting season.